Oracle fresh Install

SOLVED
Go to solution
roadrunner_1
Regular Advisor

Oracle fresh Install

He experts,

This will be my first oracle installation. I have some questions;
1. File sytems - what kind of device, raw device or block device??
2. Important kernel parameters to look for before and afterinstallation.
3. User id and Group ID - any specific id...it yes, why??
4. Installation steps

Any other tips which you guys think its important to look for??? Important link to documentation regarding Oracle on HP-UX will be appreciated...

*****FULL POINTS WILL BE AWARDED TO CORRECT ANSWERS****
5 REPLIES 5
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Oracle fresh Install

1. Block devices are easier to use, and work well for most databases. Raw devices have to be used for OPS and RAC installations. I would recommend using block devices until you get used to normal administation.

2. shmmax (at least 1g)
maxdsize (at least 1g)
maxdsize_64bit (at least 1g)
maxssize (at least 120m)
maxssize_64bit (at least 120m)
maxtsize (at least 1g)
maxtsize_64bit (at least 1g)
dbc_min_pct 5
dbc_max_pct 8-10
maxfiles (at least 200)
maxusers (at least 100)
semmni (at least 64)
semmns (at least 200)

3. Normal user is "oracle" and the default group should be "dba". This can be set to whatever you want though.

4. Install Oracle software. Patch Oracle software to highest release. Create Oracle database using dbca or homemade scripts (many people have posted scripts you can use on here).

I would suggest getting a technet and metalink account with Oracle. Technet holds the documentation for oracle versions, and metalink is a knowlege base for issues that can occur. Both are good sources for information.

Brian
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Follow your "pfs" mount commands as directed in the oracle documentation!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi

One common problem encountered by most during the installation is the mounting and unmounting of cds.

try my script for both mounting and unmount the CDROM (in case it is already mounted)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

one nice document that i hope will help...

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/devresource/Docs/TechPapers/UXPerfCookBook.pdf

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Robert Fedoruk

a tip for accessing the CD's is to create 2 directories ie disk1 and disk2 and copy the contents of the each Oracle install cd. You can run the install from disk1 and when asked point to disk2. Another tip is allow the wizard to create the scripts for creating a db, then edit the scripts located at %oracle_home%\assistants\dbca