1753460 Members
4633 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle install advice

Ken DeFilipps

Oracle install advice

setup:
dual node L2000 cluster, mc/serviceguard, SANS storage shared disks.
We had a vendor set up our cluster and install ORacle 8.1.7.
Looks like he put the Oracle instance on one of the SANS shared drives. This does not seem right. It seems the Oracle appp should have been installed on each of the cluster nodes.

Any advice? Or documentation I can refer to?
Thanks.
kd..
Don't get comfortable
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Oracle install advice

Hi:

There is no right or wrong answer here. I actually prefer to move the Oracle Data and the application software including the listener with the package. Others prefer the method you are proposing. If you are running several instances of 8.1.7 on the same node then there is some justification to wanting the apps on both nodes to save disk space. I usually don't worry about disk space. A lot can be said for having one init.ora and the symbolic link to the real files. Having the apps on both nodes makes rolling upgrades of Oracle a little faster but normally you can install the new ORACLE_HOME (I trust you have enough space in the logical volume). The most time consuming task is running the upgrade script and that has to do be in a restricted mode anyway. Your vendor do it like I would have done it but again it not right or wrong.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Ken,

the biggest problem in that area I know of is not disk space or such, but support!
I have seen a couple of times where the Oracle support refused to answer about a problem with "switched" ORACLE_HOME, claiming it was an "hp problem" then...
So, check what is supported on your site/covered by your support contarct(s).

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch