6092 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle

Joe415
Contributor

Oracle

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what would be the best configuration for installing an Oracle DB on HP-UX 11i?

1) 1 VG 1 LV
2) 1 VG many LVs
3) More than 1 VG with 1 LV
4) More than 1 VG with more than 1 LV
5) Other

What would be the best configuration for the best performance?

As of right now we are running Oracle under 1 Volume group with only 1 logical volume. This is causing a bottelneck with our disk which are on an XP24K.

Joe
5 REPLIES 5
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe

If you everything in one LV than it'll be a bottleneck.
First specify from the oracle point of view that what you want to do.

You can specify oracle binary in one LV, Archive log in one LV, backup in one LV, logs in one LV.

Then think how many disk you need to create these LV's. you can split the disk in LV's i.e for binary LV if you need 2 LV's then take one LUN from a disk and another LUN from other disk.

from VG point of view you can do it like your ways. But one thing if you create many VG's you need to do more administrative task for this.

disk bottleneck mostly depends upon disks as well as application load and kernel configuration.
a warrior never quits
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I covered that in this thread, look for my posting with the file attachment (paperclip icon), and download the file attachment.
It discusses file layout in lots of detail.
From your choices - I vote for 4) - see document for details.

https://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1170408

We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Joe,

(1) You need to have multiple VG's for the purpose of resilience of disk and good IO distribution.

So, keeping the software of Oracle and database in seperate disk is highly recommended.

For example, you may have any volume group called vg_application to store all softwares like (Oracle software, iAS etc). seperate logical volume for Oracle can be created on vg_application (lv_oracle).

(2) DB should be created on seperate volume group and that it should be mirrored. vg_database can be created for this purpose. Here we need to make sure that there are seperate LV's for different tablespace of database. You may consider having seperate LV's for system, temp, larger tablespace. All of smaller LV's that are less frequently used can go together in one LV's.

(3) Backup and redolog group should be on seperate volume group together. This disk should be mirrored as well. You need to make sure that the size of the LV should be atleast 2.5 times more than your size of database (you may trade off based on volumes of transaction on your DB).

Thanks,
Srikanth
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi joe,

My preferences:

1. Define RAID1 LV using sufficient disks that would cater for the OS and the area where i would be installing the Oracle software.

2. use the rest of the disk space available for defining an ASM area that would be used for my Oracle Database.

As you must already know ASM is just like raid 10 in effect -- done at the extent level of database segments instead of some os stripe size.

hope this helps!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Andres_13
Respected Contributor

Hi Joe,

I have similar environment XP24K, Oracle9i & HPUX 11.23 (i must say that it haves a very high performance rate)

1) Command to create vgs:

vgcreate -p 32 -s 256 -e 480 -g PVG_name /dev/vgORAx \

2) Each vg has 8 disks, same size and same RAID type; actually each vg has 4 lvs

3) The database logs (archivelogs, redologs) are in RAID 1 (2d + 2p), 1 vg 5 lvs

4) Rest of database are in RAID 5 (14d + 2p).

5) Logical volumes were created as follows:

lvcreate -L -D y -s g -n /dev/vgORAx

As a especial note you must calculate the segment size of your volume groups according to the max size that you think your databse grows to and also affects the number of disks the volume group has and of course their size.

With this configuration you will get a great performance and the disk throughput will be wonderfull.

Forget to say that the XP24K disks are 144 gb 15 krpm.

And answering your question option 4 seems to be the best one to me.

Hope this helps. Regards!