1752440 Members
5968 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle8.1.6 on SPARC 2-4 CPU takes ages on COMMITs

Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

... stumbled about this one by accident.
Quite recent (Oct 2003 !)
http://www.sun.com/solutions/blueprints/1003/817-3835.pdf

Esp. Page 19 says how to analyze if you have a spin/block problem, although there is no solution given.

Hope this helps
Volker
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

I'll be looking into that, Volker - thanks!
Currently we've "tuned around" that problem, and as the application is now about ten times faster than before, the customer does not care about the *real* problem (no answer about it, yet, not from Oracle, nor from Sun)...
Well, I'll keep you up-to-date, guys :-)

Regards,
Wodisch

PS: I love the "preview" button ;-)
zhuchao
Advisor

Hi,
Throughout the discussion, I cannot find out whether you are hitting real application commit slow or just your own benchmark script with just simple dml and one dml one commit.
AIO on solaris with raw device/QuickIO is pretty good and stable. I do not know why no AIO on solaris.Go on with raw device/Redo log.

Can you attach your full statspack report for your slow commit application benchmark?

You said you have solved the problem, And I think most guys here want to know how you did this job. Rewrite the application to reduce the commit rate, or something else?

My suggestion is whether it is possible to bind logwr to some physical processor and maybe it get a little faster.

www.happyit.net