cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle8i Parallel Server

Frank Seifert
Occasional Contributor

Oracle8i Parallel Server

can I apply the Oracle8i (8.1.7) Parallel Server Option on a system of two HP9000 K210 Boxes (including gigabit interconnect)?
thx
Harald
6 REPLIES
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle8i Parallel Server

Hi,
one system can make parallel server, but making 2 systems as parallel server is a waste of resource. instead you can use snapshot
never give up
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
You can use it, but as the man before me told you, it is a waste of resources. Anyway, my two cents to this :
Parallel server license is more expansive, as far as i know. Don't use it, if it is not absolutely necessary.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Frank Seifert
Occasional Contributor

The requirement of Parallel Server calls HA 99,7% 24x7.
Harald
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
why not think about a HA cluster instead of a parallel server ?
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Jared Westgate_1
Valued Contributor

Hello Frank,

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a parallel server out of this configuration. Of course, you would get the best performance if your database storage was on a very fast standalone array.

I've never set one up, but I do think there are advantages to having an Parallel Server setup. First of all, I don't think it'd be a waste of resources. If you have two machines serving one database, there should be a performance increase (assuming your disks can keep up). You would probably want to use RAW devices (I think I remember Oracle recommending them with its OPS option).

Of course the main advantage is having the instant failover. I'm sure you can setup something similar using clusters, but you'd still have to setup a standby database. Standby databases can be tricky, they aren't necessarily always a duplicate of the master database (it depends how often you have your log switching taking place).

I'm sorry I'm not more help on your actual question, but I thought you'd like some input from a different viewpoint.

My two cents,

Jared
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

We have just replaced our OPS config on a pair of V-classes with a conventional installation on a more powerful single N-class box.
The OPS worked well, but needed a very high level of admin. For example, raw file systems are mandatory, and the architecture is complex.
Nevertheless it did give a resilient solution and was popular with the DBA team. The main reason for moving away was the high cost of providing equivalent dev and test environments. Many applications which worked well in the non-OPS test systems, caused lock and latch contention in the OPS production system.
Whilst technically challenging, the business had to take a pragmatic view, so RIP OPS.
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.