1752795 Members
6174 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Patch Bundle Creation and then Install Query

Richard Ace
Frequent Advisor

Patch Bundle Creation and then Install Query

I have download the following patches, sh'd them and removed the *.text files.
The directory they are in is:-

/tmp/rich_patches

PHCO_13411.depot
PHCO_17058.depot
PHKL_17038.depot
PHKL_18543.depot
PHKL_20016.depot
PHKL_20674.depot
PHKL_21857.depot
PHKL_22589.depot
PHNE_22566.depot
PHNE_26771.depot

I have attempted to do the following to put them in the correct directory in a specific format?:-

#for X in /tmp/rich_patches/PH*.depot
>do
>swcopy -s $X @ /tmp/rich_patches/FTP_depot
>done

This took me into swcopy menu for each patch. I could have selected "Action, Copy", but I was not absolutely sure so I exit'd from the menu each time being fired back in until the for loop completed to done.

Not quite sure what?, but it created in /tmp/rich_patches/FTP_depot a catalog directory, swagentlog and so on. I was a little confused, so I stopped.

Can someone confirm the correct procedure and syntax and try to explain.

###############################################
On successful completion of the above for loop I was going to run the following:-

swpackage -s /tmp/rich_patches/FTP_depot

swlist -s /tmp/rich_patches/FTP_depot

Then

swinstall -s /tmp/rich_patches/FTP_depot

If you give me some guidence

It would really help

Cheers

Rich
3 REPLIES 3
Sebastian Galeski_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Patch Bundle Creation and then Install Query

Just do:

1. unshare
#for i in `ls PH*`
do
sh $i
done

2. make depot
#for i in `ls /katalog/PH*.depot`
do
swcopy ???s $i ???x enforce_dependencies=false \* @ /destinatio
done

3. make bundla

#make_bundles -B -n "PM-032001-N4000" -t "Patch Management (01.2001) for N4000 HP_1??? -c Patches -r "01.00" /destination

#swpackage ???s /destination ???d patches.depot ???x target_type=tape
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Richard:

See if this helps.

To collect a series of patches into a depot the can be installed with a single reboot, simply download your patches into the /tmp directory; "un-shar" them and do:

# cd /tmp
# for X in PH*.htm
> do
> sh ${X}
> done

# PDIR=/tmp/patch_depot
# mkdir ${PDIR}
# for X in PH*.depot
> do
> swcopy -s ${PWD}/${X} \* @ ${PDIR}
> done

# swlist -s ${PDIR}

There is no need to register the depot with 'swreg'. This is done automatically by 'swcopy'. The 'swlist' allows you to preview the depot's contents. Remember, of course, that you can also run 'swinstall' in preview mode to take it through its analysis phase, too.

As desired, you can add the option '-x enforce_dependencies=false' to the 'swcopy' command. Do this in cases where you *know* you have the necessary dependencies satisfied on your target.

Don't worry about the order of the patches in your depot. 'swinstall' will analyze and apply what is necessary and in the correct order.

To collect a series of patches into a depot the can be installed with a single reboot, simply download your patches into the /tmp directory; "un-shar" them and do:

# cd /tmp
# for X in PH*.htm
> do
> sh ${X}
> done

# PDIR=/tmp/patch_depot
# mkdir ${PDIR}
# for X in PH*.depot
> do
> swcopy -s ${PWD}/${X} \* @ ${PDIR}
> done

# swlist -s ${PDIR}

There is no need to register the depot with 'swreg'. This is done automatically by 'swcopy'. The 'swlist' allows you to preview the depot's contents. Remember, of course, that you can also run 'swinstall' in preview mode to take it through its analysis phase, too.

As desired, you can add the option '-x enforce_dependencies=false' to the 'swcopy' command. Do this in cases where you *know* you have the necessary dependencies satisfied on your target.

Don't worry about the order of the patches in your depot. 'swinstall' will analyze and apply what is necessary and in the correct order.

You can now install (or view) the depot created by using 'swinstall' and specifying the source depot as '/tmp/patch_depot'

Regards!

...JRF...
Richard Ace
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the help people

I have now successfully created my bundel and rolled it out

Cheers

Rich