Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when using Oracle Net8 Configuration Assistant

Marko_3
Contributor

Problem when using Oracle Net8 Configuration Assistant

Hi all

My oracle DB is on my database server at IP address aa.bb.cc.dd. Listener is running and I can do 'sqlplus system/manager' from the Unix prompt to assess the database.

While trying to configure NET8 via the Net8 Configuration Assistant from Windows, I could not connect to the database while doing the 'test', error being 'Connect failed because target host or object does not exist'. I have entered the correct IP address for the database server and using the default port of 1521.

What's wrong? Can anybody help please?

Thanks
3 REPLIES
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem when using Oracle Net8 Configuration Assistant

Hi there.
Check your listener.ora because the port may be different. Have you set the ip-address or the hostname in the listener.ora ? Pls check that as well.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

There are several areas that could cause your problem.

I would start at the server. Add the db entry to your tnsnames.ora on your server. Then run sqlplus system/manager@ORACLE_SID. This will tell you if listener is functioning properly.

If there is a firewall between you and the server, make sure the port is open (usually port 1521).

Lastly, I would not use net80 assistant!!!!! I would manually modify my tnsnames.ora file on my client. I have had problems with the assistant in the past. Also depending on the products/version you have loaded on your client, you will need to modify the tnsnames.ora file in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and $ORACLE_HOME/net80/admin. If you have only one of these, modify it, but if you have both, modify both.

Hope this helps.....
If I had only read the instructions first??
Josee Bourget-Thuma
Frequent Advisor

Hello Marko!

Like Joseph, I've experienced several problems using Net8 assistant. In fact, ran into these problems BEFORE Net8, ie "Easy config" in prior releases for NT.

The trick I find most helpful when upgrading is to simply keep a copy of the tnsnames.ora and just drop a copy in the NEW network directory. (network or Net8 is your case) I always rename to existing tnsnames.ora to tnsnames.orig just in case.

Good luck!!
Josee
Failure is not an option.