3314 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with database file restore

natsirt
Occasional Contributor

Problem with database file restore

Hi,

I'm doing a restore from our backup tape DLT using OmniBackII Backup software and the tape library is DLT7000. I executed a restore of DBF since May 29, 2008 04:00PM until May 30, 2008 06:00AM. When i checked the ongoing restoration of DBF this morning i noticed an error message, it says,

[Major]From: VRDA@online "INFC DBF Files" Time: 05/30/08 06:00:02
/db4/oradata/INFC/data/bscs_data_billimage_8.dbf
cannot write {[16] No such file device or address] --> not restored

[Warning]From: VRDA@online "INFC DBF Files" Time: 05/30/08 16:00:02
Invalid compress data!

[Minor]From: VRDA@online "INFC DBF Files" Time: 05/30/08 16:00:02
/db4/oradata/INFC/data/bscs_data_billimage_8.dbf
size of restored file does not match the size of file at backup time

[Warning]From: VRDA@online "INFC DBF Files" Time: 05/30/08 16:00:02
Nothing restored.

Please help me understand why i'm getting this kind of error. The backup is good and actually i already restored successful DBF during that span of restoration.

Please advise.
7 REPLIES 7
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with database file restore

>b4/oradata/INFC/data/bscs_data_billimage_8.dbf
size of restored file does not match the size of file at backup time

It seems to me that when you ran the backup, the database was running, and the above file wqas open and being modified.
natsirt
Occasional Contributor

Thanks TTr.

Actually, the size of the datafile that was backed up is 2Gig and when i restored it, the size is only 580MB. I repeat the restore and still error encountered when it reaches the size of 580MB.

I also tried backing up again the one that i already restored successfully just to verify if there is a problem on the data that was being backed up. So when i repeat the backup of a successful data restored, i am now encountering the same problem. same error messages.

I was thinking if maybe there is a problem on the tape drive. Is it possible?

Thanks.
natsirt
Occasional Contributor

Please ignore my reply before this.

Thanks TTr.

Actually, the size of the datafile that was backed up is 2Gig and when i restored it, the size is only 580MB. I repeat the restore and still error encountered when it reaches the size of 580MB.

I also tried backing up again the one that i already restored successfully just to verify if there is a problem on the data that was being backed up. So when i repeat the restoration of a successful data that was already restored, i am now encountering the same problem. same error messages.

I was thinking if maybe there is a problem on the tape drive. Is it possible?

Thanks.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I also tried backing up again the one that i already restored successfully

Is the database down when you run the backups? Ensure the files are NOT open by any leftover processes (even if the database is down). Use the "fuser" command to check them.

> maybe there is a problem on the tape drive.

That's also a possibility. But this problem would be for all files not only for database data files. Do you have any tests successful or not with non database files that support this?
natsirt
Occasional Contributor

>Is the database down when you run the backups?

No, the database was up but i set the tablespaces to NOT ACTIVE state before the backup.

------------------------------------------
When i tried restoring it to other servers, it is successful.

By the way, after encountering the error message, i tried unmounting it then mount the said FS.

im getting this message when mounting,
"vxfs mount: /dev/vgbscs/lvol2 is corrupted. needs checking".

I tried running,
"fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/vgbscs/lvol2"

i'm getting this message,
vxfs fsck: file system had I/O error(s) on user data.
log replay in progress
pass0 - checking structural files
pass1 - checking inode sanity and blocks
pass2 - checking directory linkage
pass3 - checking reference counts
pass4 - checking resource maps
OK to clear log? (ynq) y
set state to CLEAN? (ynq) y

after doing the fsck, i tried mounting the FS again and it was successful. i tried restoring the datafile on the target FS, the error still happens.

TTr
Honored Contributor

> after doing the fsck, i tried mounting the FS again and it was successful. i tried restoring the datafile on the target FS, the error still happens.

Did you run a fresh backup? If you tried a restore from the old tape, the error is still in the tape.

I assume that when you set the tablespaces to not active, this setting is for all the dbf file, right?
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Questions:
- Which version of Oracle database are you running?

- Have you considered configuring RMAN?

revert
kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)