108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Progress DB proglem!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fragon
Trusted Contributor

Progress DB proglem!

Progress DB system???Progress Version 7.3e.
Progress Server Side OS: HP-UX 11.00???64 bit???
Actual DB files???
#cd /mfg8/database
#ll maxsvc.*
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 917504 Jul 9 14:33 maxsvc.bi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 5865472 Jul 9 11:45 maxsvc.db
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 1151051 Jul 9 15:01 maxsvc.lg
-r--r--r-- 1 root sys 1212463 Jul 9 15:00 maxsvc.lic
-r--r--r-- 1 root sys 38 Jul 9 07:35 maxsvc.lk

Free space of /mfg8
#bdf|grep "mfg8"
/dev/vg00/mfg8 3072000 1753635 1239890 59% /mfg8

I run the Progress Application(s) in Windows2000 (client side)which connect to the DB in HP-UX!
For a long time, they run smoothly.
But one day, some users complained that a fatal error will occur when they use certain function(s) of the application. The error message please see the attached file.

I have another much larger DB which is in /mfg8/database too, and it's application also run in Windows2000, and it run fine!

After testing again and again, I found that when I use a function of the application which concerned with a certain table (sv06m), the error will occur. The records now in sv06m is about 4700. I dumped sv06m and load, still fail. I re-create a same table and load the data, fail!
Then I delete some records in sv06m and found that if I delete 1000 or more records, everything run fine. But actually, its a master table, its records can't be deleted at all.

Now I feel many flies around my head, could anybody help me?

Thank in advance.

-ux
3 REPLIES 3
Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

Re: Progress DB proglem!

I have no experience with this application but from experience, this looks like an application problem where a program attempts to overload a buffer.

For example, fetch 2 rows into a buffer / storage area that will only hold 1 could cause an attempt to overwrite the "instruction bank".

Sorry for the lack of precision,
but that is where I would look first.

Take care.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

General Protection Fault is a Windows errors. Windows in this case, has tried to store some information in a location that is being used by another program. To me this says memory leak.

Have you downloaded anything 2000 onto the work stations that may be causing this instability?

Does it happen on NT 4.0 work stations or just 2000, etc.,?

##############################################

From the server side there are several things you can implement. Begin by verifying the integrity of the server. Use 'check_patches' or 'swverify' for this. Refer to the log files for errors.

check_patches

swverify -v -x check_permissions=true \*

Implement glance advisor:

# cd /opt/perf/examples
# glance -adviser_only -syntax ./proc_mem_leak -j30

-or-

Use glance interactivly to read Total Virtual Stack Size of the selected process and note if it increases over time.

gpm > reports > process list > double click on process > find total VSS.

############################################

Run these basic commands and post their results so bottleneck analysis can be checked:

vmstat 5 5
sar -v 5 5
sar -u 5 5
sar -d 5 5
sar -b 5 5
swapinfo -tam
kmtune -q dbc_max -l
kmtune -q dbc_min -l
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Brad Kozak
Valued Contributor
Solution

--- from Progress' support site:

============================================
Progress Solution ID: P9230

Title: "Is Progress V7 supported on HP-UX 11 or HP-UX 11i ?"

Created: 20-Sep-2002 Last Modified: 11-Feb-2003

Goal(s):
??? Is Progress V7 supported on HP-UX 11 or HP-UX 11i ?
??? Is Progress 7.3 supported on HP UX 11?

Known to occur in:
??? HP-UX 11.0 32-bit
??? HP-UX 11i 32-bit
??? HP-UX 11.0 64-bit
??? HP-UX 11i 64-bit
??? Progress 7.x

Fix:
Progress 7.x was not qualified to run on HP-UX 11 or HP-UX 11i. Progress 8.3B was the first version to be qualified on HP-UX 11/HP-UX 11i. For more information about current Progress versions, please refer to the Progress "Product Availability Guide" on the Progress Software Technical Support WEB site at: http://www.progress.com/support/index.htm
==============================================

7.3 is obsolete and not supported. It was also extremely unstable. 9.1D is the latest Progress version and is rock-solid. Upgrade as soon as you can!

HTH,

bk