Operating System - HP-UX
1753729 Members
4760 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question about ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

Anand_31
Advisor

Re: Question about ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

Hi,

First, please change your .profile or environment variable to upper case,

ORACLE_SID=MRTG

Next, also add the entry for the MRTG instance in listener.ora but don't use GLOBAL_DBNAME (unless you are using domains, etc.). Use the SID_NAME=MRTG

I think the other members have also posted a sample entry for both files. They should have consistent values as they have suggested. Also, the output of 'lsnrctl services' can help us tell you more.

regards
anand
Anand_31
Advisor

Hi,

Apologies for the double posting. There is a fundamental error that you are committing. as per your description,

Quote tnsping is okay, then it should be okay. but very strang, i can use

`sqlplus mrtg/password` to login, but unable to use `sqlplus mrtg/password@test` to login Unquote.

You must use mrtg/password@MRTG and not mrtg/password@test as you have put here.

Just ensure you take out the GLOBAL_DBNAME and use SID_NAME in the listener.ora entry.

regards
anand
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

DId you change the entry "test" to the hostname of the machine?

Revert
Matthew_50
Valued Contributor

the hostname is `test`. sid name is `mrtg`.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Do you have a proper name resolution for the hostname.Better use the ip-address.

instead of test use the ip-address.
I find that the ip is 10.25.10.228

restart the listener.

if this still does not work.

It is better that you enable the GUI Netassistant tool.

$DISPLAY=<0.0>
$export DISPLAY
$$ORACLE_HOME/bin/netasst

Remove all the listener's and database listening locations and add it afresh.

revert on further help

Thanks