3860 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quotations - II

Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Siva,

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Abraham Lincoln

Robert-Jan.

Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Siva,
I always like Einstein's quotes.

This is the one I treasure

1. The significant problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

2. Where there is love there is no question

3. When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, you think it's only a minute. But when you sit on a hot stove for a minute, you think it's two hours. That's relativity. (This is really nice to understand the relativity).

As also (I forgot the authors name).
4. Buying books would be great if we buy also the time to read them.

And my favourite from Swami Vivekanda
5. Arise, Awake and stop not till your goal is reached. (It is my quote in forums).

cheers
Umapathy

Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
Mike Fisher_5
Trusted Contributor

"Live Free or Die"
General John Stark & Harry, New Hampshire USA
Don't get mad - get naked
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Mike,

Harry's not from New Hampshire, he's from (near) Rochester, New York. That is the New Hampshire state motto, though, so that's why everyone assumes that Harry lives there.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

U.

"Barring that natural expression of villainy which we all have, the man looked honest enough."

Mark (Samuel Langhorn Clemens) Twain

Pete

Pete
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

???I have nothing to declare except my genius???

Oscar Wild at New York customs

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Mike Fisher_5
Trusted Contributor

Samuel Johnson

1] ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that
"he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney".

2] "Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding."

3] Definition of "oats":
"A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people."
Johnson: A Dictionary Of The English Language
Don't get mad - get naked
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

I love quotes....

Do not go gently into that good night - Rage, rage against the dying of the light!
-----
I did the thing I feared the most, excuse me while I cheer, for I stand a stronger soul, and all I've lost is fear.
-----
Because we see, many of life's simplicities are confused with color.
-----
Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance the way you do when no one is looking.
-----
Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

-----
I could go on and on.... but I don't want to take any other quotes away from other people that may post....
All paths lead to destiny
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.

"To go forward, you must backup." ??? Cardinal rule of computing.
"If it wasn't backed-up, then it wasn't important." ??? The sysadmin's moto.
"Real men don't use backups, they post their stuff on a public ftp server and let the rest of the world make copies." ??? Linus T.

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
John Poff
Honored Contributor

From my programming days, I used to say,

"The goal of every programmer is to improve the program to the point that it doesn't run any more."

JP