New Discussion юеВ

RMAN backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

RMAN backup

Hello,

I heard that in our environment database backup is being taken by RMAN. Does it mean that Oracle might have been installed in RAW file system ?

Thanks,
Shiv
5 REPLIES 5
Solution

Re: RMAN backup

As we have established in another of your threads, there's no such thing as a "raw filesystem" - It's an oxymoron - like saying "honest politician" or "moral lawyer" (Ok those are jokes but I hope you get the idea).

So what you mean is - is oracle installed onto a raw volume - where that volume might be an actual disk or LUN, or might be a logical volume from a voilume manager like LVM or VxVM.

And whilst it's true that pretty much the only reasonable way to backup an Oracle database thats installed on a raw volume is using RMAN, ir doesn't follow that the use of RMAN implies that Oracle is installed on raw volumes. RMAN is often used for databases installed on filesystems as well.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

RMAN is oracle own tool to take the oracle backup irrespective of raw or filesystem. It is well designed to take db backup.

Backup product like HP's data protector inturn use this RMAN tool to take the database backups.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Rman allows you to backup a database whether it is laid out in RAW LVs, filesystems or other means.

Rman can backup the database when it is up or down and it can backup the database to disk files or local tape drives and can integrate with enterprise backup tools like Data Protector.
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Can we use RMAN with Veritas NetBackup ?
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

Yes you can use RMAN with Veritas Netbackup and also Tivoli storage manager (IBM) and Omniback Dataprotector (hp).

You need to link and configure the Tape management library with RMAN.

A very good book to explain all this in detail, with special chapter on Veritas is:

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/Oracle-Database-10g-Rman-Backup-Recovery/1878250/product.html

Look before you leap