1753713 Members
4669 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Random dictionary words

bjs144
Occasional Advisor

Random dictionary words

Does anybody know if there is a Random real world word Generator?

I am currently using $RANDOM but get complaints from users saying they cannot remeber the string easily when they need to reuse it later.

I am not worried if there is not an esy solution for this as I will try to find another way of doing it.

Many Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Random dictionary words

You can download some source to do this here;

http://www.multicians.org/thvv/gpw.html
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

I used the code suggested as a base for myself a long time ago to make an extended version of this code.
It incorporates stdargs to generate random case and random number replacement for s=5, i=1, b=8, and o=0 as well as using a bit more checking.

This code works find on linux, but I have not had time to port to HP-UX.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

Looks like my attatchment does not work for some reason. If it does not upload this time, email me at spetry@axieminc.com and I'll reply back with the code.

Shannon

Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
bjs144
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I did not make it very clear on what I wanted.

I would ideally like Random Dictionary words.

Whilst the Java Password website / code is very good, it does not generate real dictionary words

Ideally I would like real dictionary words, like aardvark, abacus.....zulu, zygote etc etc....

I am thinking along the lines of a plain text file with the dictionary in it, and then a script randomly plucks a real word out that way.

I have searched widely accross the web and cannot find a plain text dictionary file and have failed.

I do not want to spend alot of time on this so I am not worried if I cannot get what I want.

Many thanks, and apologies for not detailing my requests better.
Ben Sachs_1
Advisor

I'd imagine it might be easy to take a dictionary file such as the one I attached, and write a script to randomly pick a word from it?

-Ben

Ben Sachs_1
Advisor

Attachment didn't fully upload.... try this one.

-Ben

bjs144
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks Ben for taking the time to post a reply and a plain text file for the Dictionary.

I have spent a bit of time removing the slashes from the end of some lines which I did not want, and then created a csv file with the line numbers in the first field.

Although the origional dictionary file is only A-G with some 22,000 entries I have replicated part of this file to bump up the number to just over 32,000 lines so $RANDOM is definately going to get one line of text.

After all this, just a simple one liner will generate the random dictionary word, this is

grep "$RANDOM" dictionary.csv |cut -d "," -f 2

This will generate a Random dictionary word

Although a A-Z dictionary file would help, I have got what I wanted so I do not care!!

Attached is a copy of the csv file format of the dictionary. A-G,(Approx 22,000 lines) then A-C repeated to get number above 32,000

Many thanks for all you guys that spent time trying to help me out on this issue.

Ben
bjs144
Occasional Advisor

ahhhhhh

Thanks HP, it appears that my attachment to this board does not like my file because it is larger than 17,236 lines long.

I'll post the file to some free space on the web for public access.

Send url later

Ben
Alex21995
Visitor

Well, you can download some sources from the given link. Don't worry, if you face any problem. I was facing some source code problem over there, but after some time I understand about #Random words.

http://www.multicians.org/thvv/gpw.html

Also from http://www.tricknowledge.com/

I hope, from this link you can solve your problem!