New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recovery time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Beno├оt
Regular Advisor

Recovery time

Hi,

Does somebody have any idea/experience about recovery time for Oracle database?
Depending on volume (MB or GB) of Archive Logs for exemple ...

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It is going to depend on a whole lot of factors that you give no data about.

How are you recovering? From tape? From disk? Are you using RMAN? How was the backup done?
How big is the DB? How many archive logs do you have to reapply? How big are the archive logs?

At this point no answer can really be given other than it could possibly take only a few minutes or it could a few hours or days.
Beno├оt
Regular Advisor

Let say : recover database using backup controlfile until cancel
With about 40 Archive Logs files on disk drive for about 20 GB total / biggests 1 GB

Database is about 100 GB (Oracle 9i)

I just need an average rate or samples.

Thanks
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

To get a base value, what type of hardware - tape drives, are you using?

Waht is the read time for those tape drives?

Beno├оt
Regular Advisor

Disk drives are 36 GB 15K FC on VA7410 (full)
Beno├оt
Regular Advisor

Server is rp8400 with 2GB FC cards
TwoProc
Honored Contributor
Solution

Last time we benchmarked this a couple of years ago - on a PA8700 (750 Mhz) system using an XP512 with 32Gig of cache in the box we could recover at an average rate of 1 500 Meg archive file / min. But we've found that the rate varies (as was pointed out) VERY much with the processor speed and the speed of the disk system.

We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Beno├оt
Regular Advisor

Thanks for this answer.

Any other sample would be welcome.
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

We also have oracle running in archive mode. And we require to apply logs on two servers at a time. One SD16K having 12 CPUs & 16GB RAM takes 3 minutes to apply a 200 MB log with XP512 having 6GB cache.

Another L2000 with 3CPU's & 6GB RAM with same XP takes 5 minutes to apply the same log.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I just noticed more info about machine class, and card speeds on your posting, so I can give more similar data: Database size was about 120G back then, 4 2GB FC cards were used to connect to SAN, 8-2G connections from SAN to XP512. Disks were spread across all available controllers and evaluated Raid 5 for worst case - used 27-4packs of R5 disk across 4ACP's. 10K rpm drives. SGA was approx 5G with about 3.8G for cache_buffers, if memory serves me well. Test was conducted with all other servers connected to the SAN down. 16 processors @750Mhz with 16 db-writers(io slaves actually). Effect of increasing/decreasing number of db-writers for recovery was untested(stuck with planned production settings). Eval result (from this and other tests) was that archive log disks require R0/1 at peak loads despite write speed gains from large cache size. Assumed that Raid configuration of archive log area wasn't involved in speed tests of database recovery as archive drives only experience read loads during recovery.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett