108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Refreshing a database

SOLVED
Go to solution
carl airiel
Advisor

Refreshing a database

I have a oracle 8.0.6 on a HP-UX 11.00. I have a oracle test db server on HP-UX 10.20. I wanted to refresh the db on the machine 10.20 with my data in HP-UX 11.00. My question is that, My oracle in HP-UX 11.00 is oracle 8.0.6, while my oracle on HP-uX 10.20 is oracle 8.0.3. Will I'll be having troubles with this?

Regards,
Allan
18 REPLIES 18
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
I think this will work without any problem.
But check the oracle release notes to double check the differences between oracle 8.0.3 and oracle 8.0.6
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi allan,

There should not be any problems as long as you are using the right tools and "refreshing" non-system data.

what tools are you planning to use for this operation?

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
carl airiel
Advisor

I usual do a incomplete backup. I backup the physical files using omniback II. Restore the datafiles in other server, then do the incompelete backup.

Do you think I would be having troubles with this?This is the only tool that we've got. I can also use the export and import. But I prefer to using the 1st tool.

regards,
Allan
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again allan,

if the database is not too big, my preferred method would be as follows: (descreasing preferrence)

1. SQL COPY
2. EXP/IMP
3. RMAN Duplicate database
4. Copy of datafiles

hope this helps!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I don't think that you may copy db files between servers with different Oracle and OS versions.
The best way, IMHO, is to export the database on source machine and import it into an empty database on a target machine.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

see also the other thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=992564

if you need any further help, do let us know.

kind regards
yogeeraj
carl airiel
Advisor

Is SQL copy already available on oracle 8.0.3 and 8.0.3?Do you have any documentation on this? Is this hard to learn?

Regards,
Allan
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

see:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a82950/ch6.htm#1003261

regards
yogeeraj
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Allan,

Yes, it is available from 8.x

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"