New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rollback Segment.

SOLVED
Go to solution
warghade
Occasional Advisor

Rollback Segment.

hi,

How to set rollback segment (RBSBIG) for exp and imp operation.

pl help.

thanx in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Steve Slade
Frequent Advisor

warghade,

I assuming Oracle here, so if this is not your database, please ignore as the following is useless.

To the best of my knowledge - I stand to be corrected - but you cannot assign specific rollback segments to export and imports.

When you export a table (normal case), the RDBMS accesses the table(s) concerned on your behalf. If there are updates in progress on the table, the RDBMS will access the relevant rollback segments to obtain the pre-update version of the affected records.

Similarly, when you import a table the system records the data that is imported until a commit point is reached or the buffer fills up - and fails. As the process is an import there is nothing really to go into a rollback buffer as there is no before image.

It sounds like you are trying to get over another problem - maybe arraysize or commits on imports?
If at first you do not succeed. Destroy all evidence that you even attempted.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
If you have problems with the import,
try the parameter COMMIT=Y or do an import
with DIRECT=Y. With the COMMIT parameter it may take longer depending on the size of the export.
You should also set a buffersize, that fits to your environment.
You cannot do something on the ROLLBACK segments during an import / export.
Rgds
Alexnader M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi warghade,

- create a big tablespace.
- create a seperate rollbacksegment into this tablespace, setting storage clause in way, which enables you to use all space. I.E. TS-Size 10G, RBSBIG with init and NEXT at 500M and MAXEXTENTS 100;
- set rollback segment RBSBIG online.
- set all other rollback-segs offline.

Do whatever requires big rollback

- set all other rollback segs online.
- set rbsbig offline.
- drop rbsbig.
- drop ts for rbsbig.

Hope this helps
Volker