Operating System - HP-UX
1752369 Members
5766 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rollback segment corruption

ALOK_1

Rollback segment corruption

How does one identify that Database is suffering from Rollback segment corruption, i know there is V$ROLLSTAT which can be viewed , other than are there any practical life situations when one is sure that it is rollback segment corruption
DBA Guys
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rollback segment corruption

You can use "dbv" to verify the datafile(s) of the rollback segment(s). "dbv" is in the directory ORACLE_HOME/bin.

Laszlo
Steve Slade
Frequent Advisor

ALOK,

Laszlo is correct in that you can use the utility db_verify to validate your datafiles.

However, I am pretty sure that Oracle would crash when accessing the corrupted block(s) of a corrupted rollback segment - as it would not be able to complete the current transaction. If nothing else, the transaction itself should roll back with an Oracle Error message and a message in the alert.log file.

I have never come across this before, so I am interested in the symptoms you are having. I have seen instances, and had to recover from instances, where a rollback segment has been lost and could not be recovered - and there are additional init.ora commands that you can use to start the database with a corrupt or missing rollback segment.
If at first you do not succeed. Destroy all evidence that you even attempted.
Steve Slade
Frequent Advisor

oops please read dbv instead of db_verify in last message - brain has slipped off the rails.
If at first you do not succeed. Destroy all evidence that you even attempted.