Operating System - HP-UX
1752735 Members
5699 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Root file system is full. Can't remove (rm) files.

SOLVED
Go to solution

Root file system is full. Can't remove (rm) files.

I am in single-user mode. I fbackup'ed the /usr filesystem to a different logical volume. Then I lvreduce'd and newfs'ed /usr to a smaller size (large enough to hold /usr). I then proceeded to frecover from the backup file using the command "frecover -r -f /xxx/usr.bck". Unfortunately I forgot to mount the new /usr file system. I interupted the frecover after seeing a bunch of error messages (which I didn't read). I'm assuming those error messages were caused since frecover created a "usr" directory under the / (root) file system and the file system became full. Now, I can "cd" over to /usr, but if I try to delete any files or even the whole directory /usr, I get an error message "crt0: ERROR Couldn't open /usr/lib/dld.sl errno: 000000002". I get the same error message if I try to do an "ls".
4 REPLIES 4
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Root file system is full. Can't remove (rm) files.

Hi
Your command is trying to use /usr to carrout the command and as it is not fully there the you will get this error.

See :-
http://europe-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=5e158bb102198c36b2/screen=ckiSearchResults?mode=id&searchString=KNC061297001

The rm command lives in /usr/bin
so try:-

/sbin/rm -R /usr/*

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

hi ,

the system needs dld.sl , Is the root disk inside the machine ?, if not connect the disk to another system and import u'r root vg into that & then delete the files. and restore your backup.

that's the only option dear ..... you can try booting through support tape & importing vg then ....... give a try ..... i need the system infront of me to solve this problem

kaps
Nothing is impossible
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

hi ,

once again ...

follow the steps

#cd usr/lib
if lib is not there
#cd usr
#echo * (-------gives you a list of files / directories)
#>filename1
#>filename2

do this for all files . If it is a directory it will give an error so try the next until you get some space for restoring /usr/lib/dld.sl. Then restore it from another machine or from your backup set. Once it is done delete all the files except /usr/lib.

#mount /usr
restore your /usr backup......
#umount /usr
#cd usr
#rm -r *
mount it once again or reboot

hope this helps

kaps

NB: I had faced this problem once , as i am a H/W engineer too, i could open my machine, connect the hard disk into another machine and import my root vg then recreate the dld.sl file.

Nothing is impossible
Michael Dalanek
Advisor

Have you tried setting up a device file for your DDS3 drive setting is as type DD1, this may allow you to read your 60m tape aok;

mksf -H -b DDS1 /dev/rmt/

eg. mksf -H
Then try reading it from /dev/rmt/temp_dds1