Databases
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Root file system is full. Can't remove (rm) files.

SOLVED
Go to solution

Root file system is full. Can't remove (rm) files.

I am in single-user mode. I fbackup'ed the /usr filesystem to a different logical volume. Then I lvreduce'd and newfs'ed /usr to a smaller size (large enough to hold /usr). I then proceeded to frecover from the backup file using the command "frecover -r -f /xxx/usr.bck". Unfortunately I forgot to mount the new /usr file system. I interupted the frecover after seeing a bunch of error messages (which I didn't read). I'm assuming those error messages were caused since frecover created a "usr" directory under the / (root) file system and the file system became full. Now, I can "cd" over to /usr, but if I try to delete any files or even the whole directory /usr, I get an error message "crt0: ERROR Couldn't open /usr/lib/dld.sl errno: 000000002". I get the same error message if I try to do an "ls".
4 REPLIES
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Root file system is full. Can't remove (rm) files.

Hi
Your command is trying to use /usr to carrout the command and as it is not fully there the you will get this error.

See :-
http://europe-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=5e158bb102198c36b2/screen=ckiSearchResults?mode=id&searchString=KNC061297001

The rm command lives in /usr/bin
so try:-

/sbin/rm -R /usr/*

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

hi ,

the system needs dld.sl , Is the root disk inside the machine ?, if not connect the disk to another system and import u'r root vg into that & then delete the files. and restore your backup.

that's the only option dear ..... you can try booting through support tape & importing vg then ....... give a try ..... i need the system infront of me to solve this problem

kaps
Nothing is impossible
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

hi ,

once again ...

follow the steps

#cd usr/lib
if lib is not there
#cd usr
#echo * (-------gives you a list of files / directories)
#>filename1
#>filename2

do this for all files . If it is a directory it will give an error so try the next until you get some space for restoring /usr/lib/dld.sl. Then restore it from another machine or from your backup set. Once it is done delete all the files except /usr/lib.

#mount /usr
restore your /usr backup......
#umount /usr
#cd usr
#rm -r *
mount it once again or reboot

hope this helps

kaps

NB: I had faced this problem once , as i am a H/W engineer too, i could open my machine, connect the hard disk into another machine and import my root vg then recreate the dld.sl file.

Nothing is impossible

Have you tried setting up a device file for your DDS3 drive setting is as type DD1, this may allow you to read your 60m tape aok;

mksf -H -b DDS1 /dev/rmt/

eg. mksf -H
Then try reading it from /dev/rmt/temp_dds1