1751879 Members
5113 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAP package dependencies

Larry Hyde
Occasional Advisor

SAP package dependencies

We are running SAP on a Serviceguard cluster with SGeSAP and NFS toolkit. We are running the two package model where db and ci are separated. When the packages come up and down individually we have no problems. When they come up simultaneously both hang. Could be an NFS problem, but I am not sure. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Also, the thought occurs that we might somehow force db to be all the way up before starting ci. In other words, we want ci to depend on db being up first. Of course, we would want to do this automatically with operator intervention. Any thoughts?
2 REPLIES 2
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, when I use 'sapstart' it first check (with R3trans -d) whether the DB is up, trying to start it if needed.

If have only used this with the ci on the same system as the db myself.

For my more complex 3 tier setup I use a bunch of scripts around a remote-execution-deamon (rexd) to handle environment checks and startup checks. remote-shell woudl work also, if you can get all output nicely captured.

It sounds all wrong to try and start them at the same time. Just MUST know the DB is up before attempting to start the CI. If I were to make scripts for that, then I'd include an R3trans check in those.

fwiw,
Hein.

Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Yes - your db has to come up first.

Used to use that model as well - but moved to a single package instead.

If you want to stay with 2, then add a sleep statement in your customer defined run commands for the CI package as well as a sleep command in the customer defind halt commands of the db package.

I would also have auto_run disabled.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.