New Discussion юеВ

Re: SD Incomplete Definition for "product",

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

SD Incomplete Definition for "product",

Hi there...

I get numerous "Incomplete definition for.." Warning messages when I swlist. Unlike Sandip ( http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/0,,0x89737783db2ad6118ffc0090279cd0f9,00.html ), even when I swlist fileset there aren't multiple versions. Infact I get a warning for products that I can no longer swlist.

I upgraded the system on Saturday and was unable to install OnlineJFS because multiple versions of AdvJFS installed. I tried swmodify -u AdvJFS,B.10.20, but it continued to fail. In minor desperation of getting the work done inside the allotted down time I tried swmodify -u \*.\*
I know this is dodgey, but I was able to finish my upgrade. So now I'm left with these messages. See attachment. Check out the first Warning and the last Error messages. Curious huh. There are NO multiple versions left in the IPD either.

I'm considering re-installing SD, but I don't even know if it will work, so thought I'd check with the experts. Any ideas?

Thanks and cheers...

ian
Where ever the gypsies rome.
11 REPLIES 11
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Ian,

by running that "swmodify -u \*.\*" command you removed all filesets. Now all remaining products contain no longer any fileset... this is the meaning of the warnings.

It would have been a better idea to remove only the fileset revisions of AdvJFS... e.g.:

swmodify -u AdvJFS.\*

To get rid of that warnings you could complete your cleaning-job by also removing the empty products with "swmodify -u" as well...

Regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Ian,

Try this link,

http://support1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000051884772

The doc id is KBRC00003721

Hope this helps.

Regds
Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

THe problem wasn't limited to AdvJFS, and I tried just removing AdvJFS but continued to get the same error after all versions removed from the IPD.

Are you saying that just "swmodify -u" by itself will remove the empty records and leave all my installed products' records alone?

Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Hi, Ian!

Yes, swmodify -u only affects the IPD. You need to start on the fileset level, since only empty product entries can be removed.

Regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Dietmar... You misunderstood me. I understand that it only affects the IPD. Will [ swmodify -u ] as a command in it's entirity, only remove EMPTY entries from the IPD or will is remove all my good entries also?
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Hi, Ian!

Reading again through your question, I believe I misunderstood it.

Of course you need to specify a select to swmodify -u. So you would need to collect all products that contain no filesets (from the error log) and then supply this list to the command. However, only the IPD is modified.

Regards...
Dietmar.
Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

Sanjay...
Will that problem resolution you linked in leave anything in the IPD? Or will it just create a new empty INDEX file.
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, Ian!

The Product specifications will removed from the IPD/Index one by one, as specified in the software_selections or in the software_file. See man swmodify(1M).

Regards...
Dietmar.
Ian Killer_1
Regular Advisor

Dietmar... the problem with your suggestions is that there are no versions attached to the products creating the warnings. They are the products you see at the end when swlist is issued by itself. So to remove the warnings i must remove all entries for them. See attachment for example. Although I think this is the best approach having considered all possibilities. I will have a lot of utility type products installed but not in the IPD. I can live with that. Thanks.