108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Samba - folder does not exist error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Samba - folder does not exist error

I am using samba (CIFS) to map directories from my HP-UX 11.00 server to PCs. Everything is OK apart from for one user. When he maps a drive on his PC, the drive appears to map OK but, when he uses explorer to navigate into a sub-directory he gets the error "The folder folder-name does not exist"
Other people have no trouble mapping the same directory. The only difference with this user is that his PC is running Windows 95 and everyone else is using NT or 2000. He gets the same problem with other mapped directories as well.
7 REPLIES 7
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi Ian,

Firstly, what level of CIFS authentication are you using? There are some issues related to encrypted passwords and Win95.

Otherwise - is it only when using Explorer he sees this problem, and can he access files in the root dir? Check to see if you are using the veto files option. I've seen a very bizarre error where someone managed to accidentally veto the .. special file which caused problems with Win95, but not WinNT.

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Darren,
I am using server authentication to let my Windows NT PDC take care of user access. Passwords are encrypted.
As far as I am aware, I am not using the veto files option.
It is not just explorer that causes the user a problem. When he uses a command prompt and tries to cd he gets the same problem.
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I suggest you have a read of the Win95.txt file in /opt/samba/docs/textdocs and also the following parts of Chapter 6 of the O'Reilly Using Samba book: Server-level security and Passwords. This book is available in html format on your CIFS server via SWAT.

I think you will need to disable encrypted passwords. The best way of doing that is to use a neat feature of CIFS that allows you to have a different config file for different clients. I haven't used this feature in this way before, but basically you need to look at the Variables section in chapter 4 - (especially %a which is the client architecture) and Configuration file options in the same chapter. In this way your config file for Win95 clients would disable encrypted passwords, but for all other clients it would allow them.

regards,

Darren.

Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

I have found the answer at http://www.mlug.net/mlug-list/2001/msg00156.html. The problem was down to case sensitivity. By setting "case sensitive = no" for the sharein question the problem goes away.
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor
Solution

Thanks for posting the answer, I'm glad you fixed the problem.

I'm a little confused as I believed case sensitive was no as the default - I guess maybe you'd changed that at some point.

best regards,

Darren.
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Darren,
I did change the default based on the following text in Chapter 2 of HP's "Installing and configuring the CIFS/9000 Server".
"NOTE. HP recommends thath when using CIFS Extensions for UNIX, both the CIFS Client and Server be configured to be case sensitive."
I guess I mis-interpreted this statement.
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi Ian,

Ah - that makes sense now! Having case sensitive set to yes is great if you're only using the CIFS client to connect to the shares - that way you're able to work with files in the Un*x way (ie fully case sensitive) rather than the Windows way.

regards,

Darren.