Did you mean: 

Service Guard and OEM Agents

Dave Meador_1
Occasional Contributor

Service Guard and OEM Agents

Hello,

Agents are running and storing information in a fixed location under Oracle
Home. The Instances are running under MC/Service Guard and can fail over and
pickup again on another box that is also running an agent. What happens to the information that the agent was collecting on server 1
before the failover. Will information be lost? Will things be corrupted? Will an agent "clean start" be needed?

Thanks in Advance,
Dave.
3 REPLIES

Re: Service Guard and OEM Agents

Well the oracle database should be able to roll forward/roll back transactions as per normal.
As for the agents, well you would need to supply a lot more detail as to how the agent contacts or connects to the dbase, or perhaps discuss it with the supplier of the agent software.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Dave Meador_1
Occasional Contributor

To help clarify, The Oracle Enterprise manager when setup to run in 3 tier mode with snmp agents that Oracle provides are the agents in question. They call them Intellegent Agents.

I've run across one bit of information about this being a problem when running in a cluster. I don't know if this is old info, if there are workarounds, or if the newest version handles clustering better.

I just don't know if the middle tier, called the management server, is cluster aware. Setting up the Management Server and the Agents has already been quite an adventure with Oracle support.

I think the answer might be doing something such as shutting down and restarting the source server and target server agents on a failover, then letting them reconize the new instances. Not sure.

Has anyone been able to get this to run successfully?

Thanks again,
Dave.

Dave Meador_1
Occasional Contributor

Alright, Oracle Support came through on this. I'm new to Oracle and wasn't sure the level of help they provide for setup type of issues.

There is a note in regards to this on Metalink.

Note:190026.1
Configuring the Intelligent Agent in High Availability Environments. Basically its one agent per package, not node.

They also emailed a white paper with more detail.

Thanks for entertaining my post. I'm new to the forum, but I appreciate the talent level and helpfulness displayed here.