1748051 Members
4877 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow machine

Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

Slow machine

We just added 2 processors to our machine that has 4 gig of physical memory. We are running a Progress database that is 4 gig. The performance sucks. Is there anything that I can run to fiugre out what is going on?
5 REPLIES 5
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

vmstat, iostat,sar but your best bet is glance. It's a chargeable option but you can install as evaluation copy from the Applications CD.

Regards,
John
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Jeff,

Basically you're trying to balance the utilization of 4 resources: CPU, Memory, I/O, and Network. A good luck with Glance should give you an idea of where your bottleneck is.

With 2 additional processors and only 4 gig of memory, I'm tempted to guess that you're a little short in that department, but you may well have I/O issues too. And you need to check swapping.

Pete

Pete
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

How about posting your kernel parameters? Maybe we can find some fault there? Hopefully you didn't use the built in kernel tuning feature in sam.

BTW, what kind of machine? What OS? And what kind of disks are the progress db on?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff

The basic way to start looking is to do a sar 2 10 to cehck how the system is perofming , the performance can suck bcoz of lots of I/O interme so f phyical cs logical reads , poor memory utilization , netwrok etc . A good way is to check for the top output and see which proceses are eating most of the memory etc . dmesg mayt also give you soem cluse in case of the system tables getting staturated etc.

Manoj Srivastava
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

If it is a single process, then unless it is coded to use threads, it can only use one processor at a time.

What you need is faster processors or code using threads that can use multiple processors.

You may need to speed up the I/O, which is normally the slowdown of a database.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com