108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stopping Shutdown init on HP 9000 HP-UX 10.20

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Lowrie
Advisor

Stopping Shutdown init on HP 9000 HP-UX 10.20

Is there a way of stopping the shutdown process after you have just received the 60second Warning that the machine is going to be re-booted.

Good Luck
Life is like MTB - Ups and Downs - and Adrenalin
5 REPLIES 5
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

If it's only just warned you then yes, you can kill it.

If you have called shutdown from your terminal session and your 'SUSP' key (man stty) is available (I use ctrl Z) then you can also suspend it. This also works while it is going through the system shutdown scripts.

Regards,
John
Tony Lowrie
Advisor

I apologise I may have mislead you.

What I meant was if the shutdown was initiated by another sys admin in a multiple sys admin environment, for which you had no idea as to the whereabouts of the person who initiated the shutdown sequence.
Life is like MTB - Ups and Downs - and Adrenalin
John Palmer
Honored Contributor
Solution

In that case, you have 60 seconds to locate the 'shutdown' process with 'ps' and then kill it.

If this is a regular occurrence then you might consider 'wrapping' shutdown with a script that perhaps increases the grace period.

federico_3
Honored Contributor

You have 60 seconds to view the PID process and kill it :

ps -ef| grep shutdown

kill -9 PID

federico
Sandro Schaer
Occasional Advisor

looks like your system administrators don't talk to each other. you could rename /sbin/shutdown to /sbin/shutdown.x and create a shell script called /sbin/shutdown which first echoes that all administrators should be notified about the shutdown. maybe you could "wall" a message. and then execute sbin/shutdown.x as last step in your script
unix and oracle administrator