Operating System - HP-UX
1751847 Members
5050 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

I had found so many people here did not assign points to the repliers. Experts here are not employed by HP, they did not have responsibility to help to solve all the problem the people post here. They just want to share their experience with people here so that people can solve the problem more easily. They did not ask for any rewards when the problem had been solved, but many people here did not show their thanks to the repliers: "Assign points to the repliers". Have the people here read the "rules" after posting a new message:

assigning points
Only the Question Author can assign points to a given response. When you return to your question and are logged in, you???ll see an "Assign Points" button next to each answer. Click that button and you???ll see an easy mechanism, all captured on a single screen, for assessing the value of the answer. After you???ve rated the response, the "assign Points" button will disappear from that given response.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be logged in order for the "Assign Points" to appear next to each unrated answer.
Points are assigned on the value that an answer provides in helping solve the problem. Use the following scale, and then deviate inside the bands for answers that add more or less value:
N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question
1- 3: The answer didn't really help answer my question but thanks for your assistance!
4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

"Assigning points" is not only an award to the repliers, but also an indicator that the problem had been solved. If you had a problem and you found that it had been posted before and there is a rabbit there, you can read the post directly to solve your problem instead of posting the same problem again. But if there is no rabbit, you did not realise that the solution is work or not.

I did not think that assigning the points is a trouble work to do, it just a simple clicks and that's it. Just a couple of seconds. Really a trouble work?

Any others comments?

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
43 REPLIES 43
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: To all: Is "Assigning points" really a hard thing to do?

Well done Kenny, nothing more needs to be said!

Cheers
-Michael
:^))
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Yep

It really gets to me aswell, i've not get my first hat yet and feel as though I should have done ages ago. Some of my replies recently have been worth at least 5 points but i've failed to get any.

I will continue

Steve
take your time and think things through
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Kenny,

well said! Please no points - assign N/A.

:-)))

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

On top of that, people should make an effort to reply to their own message as to how the replies resolved their problem or not. A simple "Thanks, what 'so-and-so' suggested worked great!" or something similar would be just what someone later who is searching through the forums needs to tell if the replies are reliable or not...

They take 1-3 minutes to post a reply and often it saves quite a bit of time and stress to get their problem fixed. It only takes 1 minute to enter a short reply and assign the points....

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Hello .. Good evening ..

I have learned the value of points. When I first got on I will admit .. I didnt give as many points as I should have. Somes I do forget but I do make the effort to go back and give points. So far I have assigned points to 1367 of 1499. Not too bad .. but wow that is allot of posts that I have .. hmmm but I do learn allot (thanks everyone for being patient with me) so its all good.
Points are important but what I would really like is to knwo if what I did help move whoever foward on their issue. Other wise I am sitting here wondering .. hmmm i wonder if that helped. There have been a couple of times that I have "broken" one of my servers in an effort to duplicate the issue and figure out a fix. I put in the time the effort go though the trouble .. duplicate the problem figure out a possible fix, post it and never get points or know if I was any help. That is what gets to me. At least let me know if I helped so I know how to fix the issue if it happends to me. That is the least a person can do.

Richard =)
Kenny Chau
Trusted Contributor

Steven, I understand your situation. I know if all the people here had assigned points to all the repliers, Clay, James and all the repliers will have their points double.

John, you are right, just to take 1 minute to reply or assign points but most people here did not do so. What a pity to all repliers!

Richard, I agree on what you said. I had also tried to duplicate the issue and try to fix it before. Many people here had put many effort to solve the problem but they mostly did not get any points.

Regards,
Kenny.
Kenny
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I agree strongly on all off you guys.
Although there are a lot of serious people in this forum, giving points frequently.
So in my opinion this thread runs for the minority of the users.

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
Deepak Extross
Honored Contributor

Time and time again, the idea of "nag screens" for users with a poor reply-rating track record has been mooted in posts like this.
I wish Dan & his able assistants would implement something on these lines.
Or maybe a red exclamation mark against postings by persons with poor track records of assigning points would shame them into sprucing up their act.
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

good to bring this topic to the top again, but you know what:
as soon as "some" people get their answer (=problem solved) their mouses become too heavy to handle, immediately! Hence they cannot move it anymore, I guess that's the problem...

On the other hand, they might not have been able to verify/test the posted solutions (I do have two "open" replies, which I had no time for testing them, even that it is now weeks since then... :-( I hope they are still patient).

Just my $0.00002,
Wodisch