SOLVED
Go to solution
Juan Manuel L├│pez
Valued Contributor

Trusted system an single user.

Hi all,
My problem is very, very ,very big.
I think there are not solution.
I use " tsconvert -c " command to convert my system on trusted system.
When I login again on my system appears:

Console Login: root
Password:
Last successful login for root: Wed May 22 15:49:16 MET-1METDST 2002
Last unsuccessful login for root: Wed May 22 19:44:20 MET-1METDST 2002 on console
Your password has expired.
Choose a new password.
Changing password for root
Old password:
Sorry.
Login aborted due to no password.

I found information that show me that is necesary to install the patch PHCO_24838.

Well, I reboot the machine ( pressing the botton ) and start it on single user mode with " hpux -is ".
And this mode have root password too.

Can I save my system of an reinstallation ?.

I have not bootable tape. I have been trying to access to the system ussing the core cd and then the recovery shell, so it is very small shell without commands.
thanks.
I would like to be lie on a beautiful beach spending my life doing nothing, so someboby has to make this job.
6 REPLIES 6
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Trusted system an single user.

Hi

the only way I can think of is if you have a .rhosts file which will allow you to remote login from another system.

otherwise I think you have very big problem

John.
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi Juan,

You have a big problem out here. Only if you can remotely login into the system using rlogin...you have some chances.

If you are able to login then you can try restoring the old copy of /etc/passwd and /etc/group file if you have.

HTH,
Piyush
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Juan,

Can you try and see if you can login on the console. try both your new password as well as old. If you can login, just check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file and make sure the passwd entry is set to files and not to compat.

If nothing else works and you are still unable to login you can use the boot CD, run a recovery cell and try to recover the system. Here is a link on how to revover the system using the boot CD.

http://us-support3.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=9e8aba501dff3adeea/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000047869323

Hope this helps.

Regds
pap
Respected Contributor

Hi Juan,

I have changed the root password successfully for the same problem what you are facing now.

Just boot the system in single user mode there it will not ASK YOU FOR ROOT PASSWORD. THIS IS SURE.

BUt as your system is converted to trusted system, i you try to change the root password using "passwd" command it will not allow you or else it will ask for old password.

IF this is the problem what you are facing in single user mode, there is a solution for this.

1. boot the system in single user mode.
2 cd /tcb/auth/files/r
3. mount /tmp /usr /var file systems in normal way using mount command.
4. then #vi root (root is a file)

just remove the encrypted password associated as below

u_pwd=Ejc5ldjg@$:
just remove the encrpted portion from above line and it should look like as below

:u_pwd=:
Then save the file.

5. Now use passwd command to change root password. you will be now able to change the password for root.

Hope this helps.

-pap
"Winners don't do different things , they do things differently"

Was the old root passord over 8 characters long? If so try using just the first eight characters... I've seen this work before following a conversion to trusted system.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Juan Manuel L├│pez
Valued Contributor

Thanks a lot DUNCAN !
I would like to give you 500 points so I can??t.
Thanls a lot !.
Juanma.
I would like to be lie on a beautiful beach spending my life doing nothing, so someboby has to make this job.