3805 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Two OS on a physical machine

Satish Y
Trusted Contributor

Two OS on a physical machine

Hi experts,

I just want to know that whether we can run two systems(virtual) on single physical machine... in the sense I want to run both OS 10.20 and 11.x at the SAME TIME(parallely) by dividing resources(like CPUs, disks,etc.).

I know it is possible in N-class and superdome servers.. do anyone have idea that whether it is possible in K-class machines.

Cheers...
Satish.
Difference between good and the best is only a little effort
5 REPLIES 5
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

As far as my latest HP configuration guide shows only a superdome can be partitioned into 1-4 OS's running at the same time. Cant be done on an N or V, or a K. The new rp/rx series servers can also be partitioned.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

Unless you want hardware partitioning, I think this can be done with vPar (Virtual Partitons) on L3000, N, V and Superdome.
But as far as I have seen not on K-class.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi again.

Not to sure about the V-class but anyway here is a whitepaper on the issue:
http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/scalableservers/superdome/infolibrary/whitepapers/vPars_White_Paper_011105.pdf

It says that you can divide a
-L-class (3000) in 2(recommended) (max 4)
-N-class in 4 (max 8)
-Superdome in 32 (max 64)

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Satish,

Sorry, but virtual partitions ONLY starts at 11.11 (11i). Currently, the N (rp74xx), L (54xx), and rp8400 are the only servers that are available, hopefully the superdome will be soon. The physical architechure of the K, plus the fact that they will be obsoleted soon, didn't leave the VPars team with a lot of choices. The biggest hurdle is the IO backplane, making sure that you can "segregate" IO requests.

You can have multiple 11i OS's running with different patches, but 10.20 isn't a choice!

I am part of the beta testing team for Vpars, and I have an N-class with 6 partitions (6 cpu's, 10gb of memory, 6 lan cards, 5 FC cards, and 1 scsi card), and it runs like a champ! The only time it get's rebooted is when I want to totally reconfigure the machine.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Harry:

Did a lot of preps to begin testing vPars. But suddenly there wasn't anymore money to buy that missing L3000.
Nice to see that is works well, and maybe one day I too will get lucky!

Andreas