1753574 Members
5827 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Typing in multiple xterm windows

Norman England
Occasional Advisor

Typing in multiple xterm windows

I have seen an application that allows one make changes to multiple servers at the same time. When you type in one xterm, the information is also echoed to other xterms windows as well. Does this sound remotly feasible?
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Typing in multiple xterm windows

I think you are referring to SharedX which is part of the Mpower Web bundle on the Application CD's.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

I've used a Sun product in the past - think it was named CCB or something like that. It was part of Sun's Console suite of products.
Was pretty cool...you could do loads of servers at once - all kinds, but then highlight on specific server to deal with if you had to.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Rick Beldin
HPE Pro

There several applications that allow for 'shared' sessions if that is what you are talking about. Someone already mentioned SharedX, a longtime proprietary HP product which allows an HP workstation or Xterminal to share a window from its screen to a remote Xserver. Another product is HP Visualize Conference, which allows you to interact with Netmeeting for shared sessions, whiteboard, and chat. A third method of doing is this by using one of the many VNC (Virtual Network Computer) distributions. VNC is not supported by HP.

Somehow, from reading your message, this didn't sound exactly what you were looking for. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you were looking to accomplish? All of the suggestions above deal with the premise that you either want to show someone what you are doing or interact with them in some manner.
Necessary questions: Why? What? How? When?
Norman England
Occasional Advisor

Nah, it's like a CDE application i've seen on both Sun and HP. It allows you to open multiple xterms in CDE and connect them, so when you type in one window the commands also appear and work on another. It's great for simple file editing on multiple systems where the file structures are the same.

The xterms are from different servers. Think of a web based architecture with multiple web, application, and database servers for load balence. When you are going to update content you must roll out changes to multiple boxes at the same time, and you don't want to script the install. (i.e. you need to edit 1 line with vi )

Any ideas?????