cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UUEncode

John_247
Occasional Visitor

UUEncode

Help, We recieve a daily lot forcast that is generated by a company on a HP-UX 10.2 machine as a .csv file and emailed to us. We are using Excahnge 5.5 SP3. These csv files were coming in just fine until they upgraded to 11.0 on the UX machine. It appears as though they have stopped using mime or are using a version of uuencode that is foriegn to our outlook clients and or server. Our exchange box and clients arent having issues with any other email that they recieve. Is this a default with UX 11.0 and is there something that they can do on their end to help fix this? Thank You,

John Hicks
5 REPLIES
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Re: UUEncode

Hi John,

I'm no expert on this but I did work or it yesterday (searching the forums, trying a number of suggestions). Here's what I found to work for me on my HP-UX 11.0 box.

Create a file specifying what to email. Mine is named "include". It's contents are:
[include MSexcel.xls application/octet-stream base64]
[include MSword.doc application/octet-stream base64]
[include text.txt application/octet-stream base64]

Send the files like this:
elm -s "Subject text" somebody@somewhere.com
This delivers MSexcel.xls, MSword.doc, and text.txt as 3 separate attachments that I can open on my PC without problem using Excel, Word, and notepad respectively. This worked with my Outlook and Lotus Notes email clients both.

I found other posts saying to use "[include text.txt text/plain base64]" for ascii files however doing that caused text.txt to be sent in the body of the message instead of as an attachment.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

Re: UUEncode


Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the problem is with uuencode. I believe it is mailx which didn't include MIME headers in 10.20, but does since 11.00. At least here Outlook doesn't recognize uuencoded files in messages sent with MIME headers. If mailx is used with the -m option, then Outlook correctly detects the uuencoded attachment.
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Re: UUEncode

Hello,

When they upgraded, did they load any patch bundles?

Does the message look like this (close?):


" This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set."



Have them check that PHNE_16390 is on the system (no reboot required to install).

Hope this helps

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Re: UUEncode

John -
We are 11.0 and found the problem related to the receiver's mail server.
This was corrected by using
mailx -m

example:

ux2dos path_to/file_to_send | uuencode attachment name.txt | mailx -m -s "Subject" john.doe@somewhere.com

That example sends the file as an attachment which I believe you are attempting. Redirect into the body will work with the mailx -m as well.

best of luck.
dl
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Re: UUEncode

Sorry John -
typo should have read
attachment_name.text
dl
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."