4932 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade of hard disk

greenpiece
Advisor

hi Yogeeraj,

i was told to give a plan as to how to go about doing it, don't have the actual new disks yet. proposed plan is to use a new data disk.
hmm, i'm not sure whether i've answered your question, sorry!

thanks for your reply.
greenpiece
Advisor

Hi,
Just to confirm, if i want to keep the old data disk, can i just move all oracle files to the new data disk and mount both data disks without de-installing the database from old disk?

Thanks in advance!
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

post the output the following sql:
select substr(file_name,1,75) from dba_data_files;

You can modify your mount points according so that you can use both your new and old disks.

the output of the above query will simply your case.

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Brian_274
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Use this link for oracle documentation to help you: http://tahiti.oracle.com
If you are going to keep the old disk will you be using it for something else or not? You might not even need to move the datafiles to the new disk. 2nd you'll want to try and evenly space the datafiles across the volumns. I don't know what type of setup you have but simply moving datafiles to another disk could cause poor performance in the future. You might even want to do an export and import to redistribute your data. But that's another topic, as far as moving the datafiles goes:
1. determine which datafiles you want to move by looking at dba_data_files tables. The name column will tell you the path and name of them.
2. either take a full export or an export of the tablespaces where the datafiles reside that you'll be moving.
3. Take the tablespaces offline where the datafiles reside in. ALTER TABLESPACE name OFFLINE NORMAL;
3. Perform an os 'cp old_name new_name' to move the datafiles. Important not to copy these datafiles when the tablespaces are online.
4. Rename datafiles on the oracle lvl.
alter tablespace name
rename datafile 'old_name1','old_name2' to
'new_name1','new_name2';
5. alter tablespace name online
This shouldn't take too long at all.
greenpiece
Advisor

hi, i would want to keep the old disk to house data files, and perhaps keep log files in the new disk.
I am actually trying to solve the problem of not enough disk space as the database "crashed" before bec the disk space was not enough for log file.
Therefore i was told to add new disk to the database.
Any better suggestion?
greenpiece
Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the late points assignment.