4433 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade to Oracle 10

Asim_5
Frequent Advisor

Upgrade to Oracle 10

Hi All,

Currently we are running Oracle 9i on HP-UX 11.11 with Java 2 SDK 1.3.1.02.01 for HP-UX.
We are planning to upgrade oracle 10 which require SDK 1.4.1. can we have both versions running simultaneously or we first have to remove previous version 1.3.1 and then install 1.4.1.

Regards

Asim
3 REPLIES 3
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade to Oracle 10

Hi,

you can have both versions of Java installed without problem. (I believe we have a server with 3 versions installed).
Oracle Install will ask for the correct path for Java, and will use the specified one.

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Asim,

Yes you can run multiple versions of Java at the same time, because each version installs by default into a different directory.

Java 1.1 installs in /opt/java, Java 1.2 in /opt/java1.2, Java 1.3 in opt/java1.3, and Java 1.4 in /opt/java1.4. However you need to add the correct directory for the version you are using to your PATH variable. For JNI applications, you also need to define the environment variable SHLIB_PATH to reference the correct directory structure for the Java shared libraries. e directory by touch a text file.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

The installation required us to patch the server with a patch that I should have put on 9i but didn't. I'll try to find the patch for you...

PHCO_29960

Tim