New Discussion юеВ

Uptime

SOLVED
Go to solution
System Dude_1
Frequent Advisor

Uptime

Dear Friend,

I'm using ruptime and rhowd to get my server uptime. I've 2 questions that need your kindly reply.

1. I've configured one of my as database server(100.100.100.100) to send and received status information and the rest of my server as sender of the status information. But I could not received status information for server that are in different segment (100.100.200.100). How and what to be configured in order my database server to obtain the information.

2. As the new year is just around the corner. Can I reset the uptime without rebooting as my uptime service level is on yearly basis ans should start fresh on the 1st January.

Performance Issue on HP-UX 10.20
17 REPLIES 17
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Uptime

Can't help with your first request, but with your second, the quick answer is no. The longer answer is that you shouldn't rely on the uptime output for service level performance. The box being "up" does not always equate to the box being "available for use", and I would hope that your service agreement makes that distinction, as a network outage would make the system unavailable for use even though the box was still up.

If you are being rigorously measured against your service agreement, your best bet is to maintain accurate logs of the time and date of all system and network outages. This way things like a router dying or loss of power don't count as the box being down. The same with scheduled maintenance, if your agreement makes an allowance for a certain amount of scheduled downtime vs. unscheduled downtime.

HTH
--
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
System Dude_1
Frequent Advisor

One more question :

How to calculate a real uptime? In this case...If I rely on the system uptime then I will not be accurate any more once the server rebooted as the server uptime will be base on the date it come up. How to calculate uptime for 365 days. In this case the best uptime will be 365x24. But if the server is down the the uptime will be (365x24)-downtime. Is there any script to measure this?
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi,
For your last question. There are probably softwares that can do this for you, but we solved this by using a simple start/stop script in the different levels that logs the "date/time" in a file. Thus we know how long a server was down and how long it took to get through the boot ...

Hope this helps,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

I would use the epoch date, i.e.

1003949248 is actually Oct 24 12:47:28

Run this command
root@server: /tcb/files/auth/r # echo "0d1003949248=Y" | adb
2001 Oct 24 12:47:28

I use this for all types of stuff, but with this you could get your QoS stuff down to the second.

Also using rwho, ruptime are major security holes, I would comment these out of inetd.

Here is a link for securing inetd.
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/security/inetd.html

HH,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
System Dude_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Tom,

Could you kindly share with me the script. If it suite my environment that maybe I could use it too.
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sure, here it is ...
My excuses if it is not up to scripting standards.

Hope it helps,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
System Dude_1
Frequent Advisor

Why it look for /etc/rc.config.d/boottime. can I just create the file
System Dude_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Tom,

Could you reply me
John Love_3
Regular Advisor

I believe all you need for the /etc/rc.config.d/boottime file is to add the following line:

START_CAPTURE_TIME=1

To turn it of, set it = to 0 (zero)

John