3583 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using operating systems < 11i in a VPAR

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Butler_1

Using operating systems < 11i in a VPAR

I understand 11i is necessary for VPARs. What I want to know is whether or not I can run HPUX 11 in one of the VPARs. In other words, could I create two VPARs on an N-Class and run an os less than 11i?
definition, definition, definition!
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Gary,

The minimum OS level is 11i in 64bit mode, because of the patches to the kernel that are required.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/T1335-90001/T1335-90001_top.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

No, you must use a minimum of HP-UX 11.11 (11i)
64bit due to specific kernel requirements.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Gary,

I've been using vPars for more than a year now (I was part of the beta program). vPars kicks butt. I've taken my N-class, with 6cpu's, 10gb of memory, 6 FC cards, 5 lan cards, and one scsi card, and divided my machine into 6 partitions. I just noted yesterday, that the last time I rebooted the machine, was back in October, and that was because I rebuilt my partitions without my application software (I wanted a "clean" system(s)).

My applications, MF Cobol, C, and C++ apps, ported to 11i from 10.20. "Ported" meaning I did not have to recompile a damn thing. I did have to relink the cobol libraries because we have a customized rts (a mf cobol thingy). A single N-class (550mz) partition, with 1 CPU and a gig of memory benchmarked more than 2 times faster than a K580.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Gary Butler_1

Thanks to both Harry and Melvyn for the prompt and helpful response. Harry's second response raises another issue with our proposed use of VPARs. That is the impact of the OS upgrade to the existing applications.

We are running a data warehouse on a HP configuration of one L-Class (Dev), one N-Class (Prod) and an XP512 disk array. Both the L and N-Class will have four CPUs when the VPARs are implemented. The software used in the data warehouse application is Oracle 8i for the backend; Vality's Integrity for data cleansing; Informatica's Powermart for ETL (soon to be Powercenter) and CoSort for our sort utility.

The VARs are being implemented tactically to share the above configuration with another Business Intelligence application and strategically to better utilise the company's investment in Midrange hw and sw.

My follow on question is what will be the impact on the existing data warehousing application with a OS upgrade needed to implement VPARs? Or is the move to 11i from 11.0 going to be transparent with regards to the existing software we are running? I can sense a fair bit of compatibility testing coming up but would like to minimise the extent of that testing if at all possible.
definition, definition, definition!