Operating System - HP-UX
1752278 Members
4838 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Utility to check for export file status ??

Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Utility to check for export file status ??

Hello everyone.

I got an export file from an engineer, regarding an application we are testing. The syntax he used was :

exp system/manager@SID file=NNN.dmp owner=owner1,owner2 log=NNN.log

When I try to import this file, using the syntax :

imp system/manager@SID ignore=y full=y file=NNN.dmp log=NNN.log

I get :

Import: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Fri May 3 15:00:58 2002

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - 64bit Production

IMP-00010: not a valid export file, header failed verification
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

So, is there a utility that I can run on this dmp file that will tell me whether the file is sound ? I know that sybase offers such beast to check its dump files.

I would hate to have to simply keep on trying exchanging large dmp files without knowing whether they work or not !!!

Cheers,

Henrique Silva
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
8 REPLIES 8
Sukant Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Henrique,

Please use the ifile=/tmp/filename alongwith the imp command.

This /tmp/filename will then contain the object creation commands, which will allow you to know whether the export file has been created properly or not.

-Sukant
Who dares he wins
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Hello Sukant.

I do not see an ifile parameter option on my imp or exp command. I tried using it anyway, but it does not even create that file under /tmp. It simply exits with the invalid header message.

When I tried that with my known good export file, it comes back saying "unknown ifile parameter".

When using the export command, I can see the creation of the dump file by reading the log file. But waht I am looking for now, is a utility that I could run, such as :

utility-name NNN.dmp and would get somehting like,
dile NNN.dmp, created on date, header information, etc, like I get with dbcc command for Sybase dumps.

Can you clarify your point ?

Thanks,

Henrique Silva
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
show=y option in the imp utility will show the things that the dump will do on the database without importing the objects.
THe error probably you are receiving is due to the version .I assume you are importing a dump which was exported using a previous version of oracle i.e.less than 817 which is the one you are using for import.

THanks
G Manikandan
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Thanks TG.

I am not sure what version of oracle this export came form. I am trying to verify it right now. When I try to run the show=y on this dump file, it fails with the same error message. It does fine on the export file I just created.

NOW, the question here is, HOW CAN I USE EXPORT FILES FROM PRIOR version ? Is there a way ? Or do I have to install that version, upgrade the database adn tehn do an export of it ? Sounds complicated !!!

Thanks,

Henrique Silva
LBertoglio
Advisor

Hello Henrique,
just a stupid question: have you moved that .dmp with ftp? If so, remember it's a binary, and not an ascii file!
Oracle normally permit to import an old-release-dmp in a new-release-db, eg. import from 7.3 in 8.1, with no problems.
To import in an old-release-db from a new-release-db (eg. export from 817 and import in 7.3),
you have to create the export connected to the old db:
export ORACLE_SID=OLD_DB
exp system@NEW_DB .....
so you use the old-export tool and you are connect to the new-db.
Hope this could help you.

Regards.
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

Henrique

Leonardo is almost certainly correct.
I have seen this before.
In the past I have seen days of effort wasted with investigating problems with forms3 .frm files where the cause was the same.
Answer, always use BIN mode when ftp'ing.

Graham
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
The dump file exported has a forward compatibility but not backwards i.e.
8.0 will work on 817 but 817 will not work on 816.

Just do a strings on your dump file.
and check the first line.eg.like
"EXPORT:V08.01.07"

Niv Fishel

hello Henrique,
first, I think the problem is the FTP problem (i.e. do "set B" before the get).

about the "ifile" parameter, I think what he ment was "PARFILE" which is a way to create a standard parameter file for future exports.

and, about knowing what version he used, well, you might have done that already, but, if you have the NNN.log that the guy on the other side created, the first line of the export command shows the version of export that he runs.

I hope this helps.