5730 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Version Control Strategy

aajk
Occasional Contributor

Version Control Strategy

Hi All,

I am using HP-UX 10.02 with PROGRESS DB. Now we are doing daily backup Xponent.db everyday which including all database and program object which from Disk -> Disk Dump and then tape backup (It takes 4 hours totally). If I want to recover some programs, I have to restore the program object from Xponent.db and then building the source codes. In this case, I want to backup the program source codes and program object directly. Also I like to back the Unix system as well. Would you give me some plan or strategy, please. Thank you so much!

Best Regards
Will
3 REPLIES 3
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Re: Version Control Strategy

Hi aajk,

For copying HP-UX, or exactely, the entire vg00, you can use the cammand :
# make_recovery -A -d /dev7rmt/0mn
Attention you need to copy to NoRewind device with letter n at the end, in this example /dev/rmt/0mn. This not only copy the entire volume group vg00 but also creates a lif structure at the begining of the tape and copy with a tar-like format the entire vg00 after this lif area on the tape.
With this commad you can do backups for entire vg00 and/or clonning other systems by interupting the restore process and modifying their configurations ( server name, IP address, ... ).

For the other part of the question, sorry no idea about INFORMIX.

Good luck.
aajk
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! I think it is helpful.
As your message said, "With this command you can do backups for entire vg00 and/or clonning other systems by interupting the restore process...", what does "clonning" mean???
aajk
Occasional Contributor

Hi.. and also... what is "lif structure"??
Thanks a lot!!