Operating System - HP-UX
1752576 Members
3657 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What does VNC Server do / re Oracle Apps?

Stuart Abramson_2
Honored Contributor

What does VNC Server do / re Oracle Apps?

We run Oracle Applications here.

One of the Oracle Architects just came in my office and asked me if we had a "graphics console" on our HP rp7410 server. I said, of course, that no we didn't; we did our "graphics" with X-Windows, etc.

He said that if we didn't have a "graphics console on a graphics card" on our server that he would have to order "VNC Server", which is a product that we run on some of our other servers. It is an Oracle Apps requirement.

What is he talking about?
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

I bet it's CODA!

Some software requires drawing graphics primitives and it needs and X server to do it on. You don't actually require VNC, you can just leave a PC on with reflections on have a Linux box somewhere and set the display variable to the PC's ipaddress:0.

However, that can be annoying if someone switches it off so VNC is your answer. VNC is an X server for when you don't have a graphics console to run a real one on. You run VNC, point your DISPLAY variable at your own ip address and your away.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Stuart,

Some Architects still believe that data center servers are headfull -- meaning have a graphics card and the console is X-windows based... I can understand that as there are still some sites out there that do have Graphics consoles. Now on your inquiry on question..

VNC is a virtual X server product that allows you to have an "X-Windows Server" server. So even if you do not have an X-windows software emulation product on your PC (ie. ExCeed, KEA, Reflection) .. you can still access a virtualized X-Windows environment.. This is needed by some Oracle Apps that are frontended with GUI that are sometimes pure X-Windows clients or a mix with Java. There are also some Oracle apps that require to have a GUI that is always up...

The nice thing with VNC is youhave an option of a small "thick client" -- A VNC Client or a Web based one.

For more info: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
Hakuna Matata.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hey,
did you try the HP Virtual frame buffer? we use it for our 9iAS...
regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)