Operating System - HP-UX
1753705 Members
4911 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What for the tools BMC SQL BackTrack and BMC Patrol ?

ezhilarasan_1
Occasional Advisor

What for the tools BMC SQL BackTrack and BMC Patrol ?

Hi,

What for we use the tools BMC SQL BackTrack
and BMC Patrol ?
Give the purpose of these tools and
how it is useful to DBAs.

Thanks
Ezhil
3 REPLIES 3
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

take alook here:
http://www.bmc.com/

There are various "Success Stories", as well as info on these products
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!

BMC SQL Backtrack is a tool for backing up databases - the idea being you can hide the differences of databases such as Oracle and Sybase and Informix, and have a standard backup/restore methodology.

BMC Patrol is a systems monitoring and alerting technology - again for DBAs you can putchase various add-ons for databases known as 'knowledge modules' - these allow patrol to monitor and alert on resources within your database.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SQL-Backtrack is a backup tool a third party product of BMC. It is a very good tool for backups especially when considering the backup time and and the backup file compression.

Comparing Oracle├в s RMAN backup tool with SQL-Backtrack performance/features, featurewise, RMAN is ahead. Performance, Backtrack has its edges (backup time, file compression). For disk backup, Backtrack is about 1/3 faster in backup time, and 3-time smaller in backup filesize

RMAN doesn't compress data, just skip empty blocks), which allow us to keep more copies on disk. There is no capability to instruct RMAN to utilize any external compression utilities. This is an operation which must be performed entirely outside of RMAN. Once compressed, RMAN will no longer recognize the file headers, so you would need to uncompress the files prior to any subsequent restore/recovery operations.

One example of a customer who is very happy with the speed of SQL-Backtrack. They have two databases, one is 600 GB and another 40GB. SBT backs up 600GB database (incremental)in less than 2 hours, and takes just few minutes for 40GB database (full). Restores are also pretty OK. They have restored 600GB database many times on our test machine and it taked 5-6 hours.
SQL-Backtrack is also used for recovery. One can recover a single table, single schema or the complete database from the backup. I had used this at a client site and never had any problems in backingup or restoring using SBT.

Indira
Never give up, Keep Trying