108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Why larger process sizes with 8i?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Why larger process sizes with 8i?

I have oracle 7.3.4 and 8i instances running on the same machine. I am running 10.7 apps on both (server partitioned mode). The two instances have the same basic data, both cloned from production - one I migrated to 8i from 7.3.4 last week. I noticed today that the sizes of all of the 8i processes start at 30MB (from top). The 7.3.4 processes start at 10MB. Those processes correspond to concurrent managers, which I thought were all running in the 7.3.4 tech stack. Can someone explain to me why the 8i processes are so much larger? Is there something I can do about it?
Thanks...
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Why larger process sizes with 8i?

Call oracle ??

I'd first make sure I had my system up-to-date in patches, then let them have it, but I doubt you will find any "kind" ears.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dave,

I've seen the same thing here. The 8i processes are hogs, no matter which box I run on and no matter how many patches we have. I can't explain technically why they are bigger, but I can confirm that we see the same thing. Our DBAs told us before we upgraded that the newer version used a lot more memory, and they were right. The libraries are much bigger too.

JP
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

to my knowledge
yes
The oracle 8i processes use more memory than your 7.x version.
You can check up the installation guide for the memory requirements for the new version of Oracle.
I could notice in many of my system each Oracle connection takes up around 30MB of memory.
Probably you can reduce the same by using MTS.
As you are using dedicated server design each client connection will spawn a seperate dedicated process.
If you use MTS and define the number of server processes,you can limit the amount of memory usage.
I am not sure whether the 7.x version of oracle supports these parameters like dedicated processes or Multithreaded processes design.
You have to think about,
It depends upon the memory on your machine,your application,your database performance.

Thanks
Keith Clark
Valued Contributor

Are you running on HP-UX 11 in 64bit? If so this will contribute to the larger memory footprint, since 8 is 64bit enabled and 7 is not.

But as with any applications or O/S, new features and enhancements use more resources. No cause for concern....
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the responses - according to Oracle, its normal. I just thought those processes would have been indentical to their older values. It just leaves me a little short on RAM...