108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X-window and oracle patch 8.1.7.3 installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenn Chen_1
Advisor

X-window and oracle patch 8.1.7.3 installation

Currently, i need to patch my oracle from 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.3. When i run ./runLnstaller it prompt it that "DISPLAY not set". As i knew this is X-window setting. But, i do not know whether my system has X-window or not. Could anyone can guide me from starting of install X-window (where to install) and how to set the display and ora user in order to run the "runInstaller" without any problem. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Ken,

Just use a pc with X-server software on it (eg ReflectionX, Exceed Hummingbird). Open a graphical session towards your Oracle server and export the display varaible there as follows:

export DISPLAY=xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt:0.0

where xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt is the IP address of your pc running Reflection, Exceed,...

This has to work as the installation of Oracle8.1.7 is graphical only as well.

Kurt

Kurt
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi

First of all u have to get PC X software. One of he popular software is X manager.
U can download in from http://www.netsarang.com/. Its a trail software.
Load it on a PC, connect to the server with that utility.

the set the DISPLAY settings

# export DISPLAY=10.23.34.45

assuming 10.23.34.45 is ur PC IP.

Then do ./runInstaller

CTK
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you do *not* have to buy an X-Seerver for Windows - VNC works just fine for that!
Use *search* on the top left of the ITRC window and search for "vnchpux.tar" (or "vncsun.tar" if you work on solaris) to find the VNC server (OpenSource = free) compiled by HP on the HP website, install it, get the viewer (=VNC client) from http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc and you are ready to go...
Start the VNC server on the UN*X system, enter the password, start the client on Windows, point it to your UN*X, it asks for that password, and you are connected. It *looks* like X-Windows to the programs (like Oracle), so enter "echo $DISPLAY" to see your display parameters, then set your oracle-installer shell's DISPLAY variable to that value and "export DISPLAY". Now start the the "./runInstaller" and Oracle's Java-Installer should show up.

HTH,
Wodisch
Kenn Chen_1
Advisor

Thanks. but even i have installed Xmanager into my PC and set DISPLAY= the
system still prompt me DISPLAY not set. Please set the DISPLAY and try again.:Not owner

Please help.
Kenn Chen_1
Advisor

I have set the DISPLAY in DB env file and try to start it again. It works until the below message then stop......

Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/jre. Please wait...
Warning: JIT compiler "none" not found. Will use interpreter.
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using '107.10.81.161' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.(MToolkit.java:63)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:394)
at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmSplashScreen.getImage(OiifmSplashScreen.java:67)
at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmSplashScreen.(OiifmSplashScreen.java:45)
at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.main(OiicInstaller.java:418)

Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

# export DISPLAY=urpcIP:0.0

# echo $DISPLAY

CTK
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

looks more like a Java problem to me: maybe another Java-installation is your $PATH or in the $CLASSPATH, located *before* the directory used by Oracle???

FWIW,
Wodisch
Philip Kernohan
Advisor

Kenn,

the steps *should* be as simple as:
- install X-window software on your PC

- start the X-window software on your PC but you do NOT need to use it to login - you can use normal PC telnet etc. BUT the X-client must be started on your PC

- type 'export DISPLAY=:0.0' on the UX server end

Ignore the runInstaller for the time being and test your X connection with something simple like typing 'xclock' - if you see the clock then your X connection is good and the runInstaller should then work.

If you have to login in through other servers to get to the Oracle server machine then getting X-windows back to your PC may not be possible. Look for the one hop route to the server if you have one.

Regards,
PK
It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi again, Kenn.

You omitted the ":0.0" at the end of your ip-address (as some already mentioned!). So the line should read:

export DISPLAY=107.10.81.161:0.0

and this time use it exactly as shown above, inlcuding the colon and the zero and the period and the zero at the end.
On the X-server itself turn off the authentication (hint: use "xhost +") to avoid problems there.

Now you should be good to go!

HTH,
Wodisch
PS: in case you use the "csh" the line would read:
setenv DISPLAY 107.10.81.161:0.0