108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: anybody using Sybase on itanium?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

anybody using Sybase on itanium?

Looking at getting 2 rx4640 itanium boxes (hpux11i v2) using sybase12.5.2. Sybase says it will run on itanium. HP says it will run on itanium. But I can't find anybody that actually USING sybase on itanium.

Anybody? Does it work?

The current database is about 140 gigs. It would be moved to a san array. We currently use 12gigs of memory on a V2600 with EMC disks. The new config is will have at least 12gigs RAM.

The current configuration has a V2500 hooked in for test/development, and potential failover for production. We would have a 2nd rx4640 for test/dev and a potential failover for production.

7 REPLIES 7
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Geeeez! That's not a good sign. Nobody huh?

Ok then.
Does anybody use SYBASE, and on WHAT.

(I guess the question after that would be does anybody use hp computers and/or their forums website).

I use sybase on a V2600 with hpux11.0.
Martha Mueller
Super Advisor
Solution

We use sybase on HP servers, on two rp4440's, three rp5470's, and two L2000's (I can't remember if that's rp5430 or rp5450), and one rp2470. It has been rock solid in this environment. We are considering going to intanium on one server next year. Sybase has released, but not certified, running on itanium, but we don't anticipate any problems. Our current storage is EMC symmetrix. Sounds like our environments are pretty similar.

Like you, I was hoping to find someone using sybase on itanium.
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

No sybase here, just Oracle! ;)

But I think this thread will answer your questions:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=744485

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Martha Mueller
Super Advisor

Thanks for that information about Data Protector. I forgot about that little glitch. We planned to have sybase simply dump to flat file, and then have data protector back up that flat file until data protector integration with sybase becomes available. In our environment, the itanium server will be a replicated database, so there isn't very much unique information that needs to be backed up to tape.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Ok then. Thanks to both of you.
Martha, you're right. Our environments are very close. In fact, we currently backup the database to files, then backup the files. Honestly I prefer a backup that's available on a disk instead of a tape. But I also like to have more than one method of backup.

As far as itanium vs pa-risc, I just passed the information up the chain of command.

Thanks.
Steve
Jim Devine

If anyone's still interested, we are migrating over to an itanium environment using sybase 12.5.3. We're moving from N/L class machines, and initially things worked quite well (except for a problem with our disks...had to move off xp frame onto an eva). But as the databases grow and we add more sybase servers to the box, response time is suffering. Jobs that used to take minutes are now taking hours. Granted that we do overload things here (30 sybase servers on a box), but compared to how things worked on the N and L class boxes, things are running much slower on the itaniums. We just got in a third itanium box, so hopefully balancing the load will improve things again.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info. We have about 25 databases here. You might want to check out memory kernel parameters. I remember seeing a forum entry about poor performance with Oracle on an Itanium. It was due to memory being grabbed, but unused by the OS.