6197 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can't set BRTOOLS

joel vernaz
Occasional Contributor

can't set BRTOOLS

Hello

I'm trying to set brtools on an HPUX server 11.11, but it doesn't work.

I tried several documentation, but I'm still having the same error while doing a test:
---------------------------
$ brconnect -f check
BR801I BRCONNECT 6.20 (114)
BR805I Start of BRCONNECT processing: cdtksvxr.chk 2006-09-04 20.26.51
BR280I Time stamp 2006-09-04 20.26.53
BR301E SQL error -1017 at location db_connect-2
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
BR310E Connect to database instance DS failed
BR301E SQL error -2133 at location thr_db_connect-2
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

BR806I End of BRCONNECT processing: cdtksvxr.chk 2006-09-04 20.26.53
BR804I BRCONNECT terminated with errors
------------------------

Does some has an idea or a documentation for BRTOOLS.

Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

From a Google search:

> When attempting to connect to the specified database, either the user account does not exist or BRTOOLS is providing an incorrect password for that account. Try connecting to the specific database using another method (SQL*Plus, or a database tool such as Toad) to verify that you can connect successfully. If the user account you are attempting to use with BRTOOLS does not exist in the database, then you must create it first with the "create user xxx identified by xxx ├в ┬ж" command.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
joel vernaz
Occasional Contributor

First of all thanks for this quick answer. But how can I know which user, brtool is using?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You'll need to contact your database administrator as this is part of the installation and configuration.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Extract from SAP Database Guide: Oracle is given below. Check this guide at http://service.sap.com/instguides

This BRCONNECT command option defines the user name and password used by the SAP tool to log on to the database.
Input syntax: -u [[/]]
Default value: system/manager

If you only enter -u , an interactive query of the user name and the password is performed by the SAP tool. You can enter the user name and the password separately (only enter the user name or the option -u ). The tool then prompts entry of the password. In this case, the password is not displayed during entry, and does not appear in the process list.

These measures are taken to protect the DBA password.

In shell scripts, you can structure the call as follows:

brconnect -c -u -f stats </
END

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
joel vernaz
Occasional Contributor

Hello

Thanks again for this answer. Effectivelly I don't have the error message regarding the user/password but I have an new one.

----------------
BR801I BRCONNECT 6.20 (114)
BR262I Enter DBA user name[/password]:
BR280I Time stamp 2006-09-05 14.00.16
BR301E SQL error -942 at location ora_vers_get-1
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
BR303E Determination of RDBMS version failed
BR301E SQL error -2133 at location thr_db_connect-2
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

BR806I End of BRCONNECT processing: cdtkwlkq.log 2006-09-05 14.00.16
BR804I BRCONNECT terminated with errors

----------------

I'm not sure but maybe it can be linked with a lot of error that I had when I ran the sapdba_role.sql (messages telling me that table or view do not exist...) Do I have missed a part?
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi,

are you trying to run brtools against a SAP database or a non SAP DB ?
If it is SAP, is it an ABAP Stack System or a Java Stack System or a Double Stack System.

ABAP and JAVA do reside in a diffrent DB Schema, so depending on your System type the setup differs a bit.

Volker
joel vernaz
Occasional Contributor

There is no SAP on this server. Juste oracle.
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

You have a problem with the dba group.
Only the dba group setting can do can connect internal.

And it is not enough just to chown.
You need to run some setpriv commands as
well or there is a .c source during install of SAP oracle that is modified,
see the appropriate SAP notes.

Look before you leap
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi,
This might become a bit complicateted, but since you still run 6.20, there is a fair chance, because 6.20 still has sapdba, which creates the tables you need with the first call if they are not present (No Idea how to get them in 6.40 or 7.00)

You might need to setup a DB-User for these tables and Environment dbs_ora_schema accordingly and there may be need to use "system" as the operating user.

Watch it, if this database is in no way SAP-related, SAP has in the past required to buy a sepearate "not-so-cheap" license for the use of brtools and sapdba. If the DB is SAP related (i.e. if the DB holds the LDAP-store for your SAP-Portal LDAP) I think the use was permitted in the past [I'd mind to remember, this was with the first Portal/Workplace versions]. I do not know if this licensing has been changed up to now. There was a SAPNET Note (115577) describing how to setup the use of sapdba and brbackup for a non-sap DB!

Note 110975 says SAP does not like to support theses Tools in NON-SAP Environment (dated Jan 2000). This Note has a reference to ...
Note 115577 which described the Installation of SAPDBA for non-SAP-databases, but obviously this note has been revoked. That was the note, which mentioned the License stuff I quoted before, so I suspect the use is not permitted any more.
So I'd recommend to contact you contract-contact to clear the license situation.

Do not know if this really helps
Volker