1752794 Members
6271 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

case change from ux to oracle login? - Help

Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

case change from ux to oracle login? - Help

Is it possible to change case (from lower to upper), within a .profile script for example, after a user logs in to hp-ux? The real question is, are there any problems with doing this? It needs to be done before the user is logged in to oracle because the existing usernames are set up in all uppercase. The oracle login consists of OS authentication via the following call in their .profile:
f60runm menu_name / &

{As some of you may guess, this is still an effort to get around the CAPS lock key not working on the CDE login screen when connecting via linux}

TIA
if only we knew...
7 REPLIES 7
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Re: case change from ux to oracle login? - Help

hi,

Username and password are not case-sensitive in Oracle. What error are you getting?

yd@mydb.MU> connect yd@mydb
Enter password:
Connected.
yd@mydb.MU> connect YD@mydb
Enter password:
Connected.
yd@mydb.MU>

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

I thought that was the case also, but when I change a user's name & password to lowercase in /etc/passwd, the user gets the following error: ora-01017

Thanks;
if only we knew...
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

what are these parameters set as:
os_authent_prefix
remote_os_authent

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

They have the following values: (blank=null)
os_authent_prefix =
remote_os_authent = TRUE

if only we knew...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Nope, stty does have a way to map keyboard UPPERCASE to lowercase (stty iuclc) but not the reverse. You should than the Linux folks for eliminating the CAPS LOCK key, the most useless key on the keyboard. There are still far too many applications and web pages that require UPPERCASE and these (relics of punch cards and paper tape) need to be eliminated. The CAPS LOCK key generates about 50% of all calls to the help desk about password not working. And in Unix, typing a username in ALL CAPS will automatically set: stty -olcuc because very old teletypewriters had no lowercase keys. That's why sysadmins are told never to create an UPPERCASE username.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

Well who I should really "thank" is HP for no longer supplying xterms. They are the reason I have to go out and piecemeal systems to attach to the server. The good ole Entria's worked just fine for the past 10 years. Anyway, And thanks to Oracle for intensifing the problem. You see, I can't set my Forms roles to lowercase names (go figure). So, users have to hold the shift key for each non-numeric char and let go for each numeric one...imagine the calls I'm going to get now...

Thanks;
if only we knew...
baiju_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

tr command can be used to do the case changes .Please see the below example.

echo hi |tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]"

Is this of any use to your problem ?

Thanks,
BL.
Good things Just Got better (Plz,not stolen from advertisement -:) )