New Discussion юеВ

Re: chatr

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sathish C
Frequent Advisor

chatr

Guys
I need an urgent help , can someone tell me is there way to change a dynamically linked shared executable that has got a statis/dynamic link with few third party softwares lets say Oracle ( 8.0.6) , to change it to link to 9.0.2 ?. , considersing that the env has upgraded to Oracle 9i , but unfortunately I do not have compliation sources or config file where I can change the libraries .Hope I made my problem clear .
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go
3 REPLIES 3
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

if I understand you want to take a different library (path) form the embedded one.
1) change SHLIB_PATH so your new library is on the path.
2) chatr +s enable +b disable
This will enable the search on SHLIB_PATH 1st.

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

But this is by no way a guarantee it will work properly. Upgrades between major releases, and sometimes even between minor releases, will lead to (binary) incompatibilities.

Sometimes the application will not work at all with the new DB environment, but this is still better than when it /appears/ to work fine, but in fact ruins your valuable data in the background.

Personally I'd not advice *anyone* to walk this road, and /IF/ you decide top go there anyway, be sure to

1. Have a good (and tested) backup
2. Run as many tests as possible before going life
3. Run the edge cases

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn [ being bitten by far too many incompatibilities in version land in the past ]
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

As Merijn metioned it, because you change the libraries you require the full UAT cycle.

I've done it in the past not for new libraries but for a new location for the libraries.

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux