1752439 Members
5512 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: compiling Informix

Krista A
Occasional Advisor

compiling Informix

This may be an elementary question, but I need help with compiling Informix code.
I'm very new to Informix and in the past, I'd edited existing programs, so compiling was easy.
Now I've created my own .org file, put it in a .dev folder, but I'm not sure of how to compile it. Where do the .4gl files of the same name as the .org files come from? And the Makefile? And what's the difference between "Makefile" and "Makefile.4gl" with the extension on the end?
I tried to compile, but had to create the .4gl files myself, which doesn't seem right. I also created both Makefiles by editing existing ones from other programs. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing this right...
Any help is appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Krista,
long time since I used Informix direct, but I always found this book useful to get the basics:
For into to 4gl
http://docs.rinet.ru/InforSmes/ch35/ch35.htm
Jonathan Fife
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like your shop has some specific steps set up for development, so you might want to ask a manager or another developer for assistance in your environment.

I've never heard of a .org file, so I suspect that your Makefile would have steps that move it to a .4gl (perhaps adding some standard headers or something along the way) and then run c4gl or fglpc on it to compile it.

Makefile.4gl would be 4GL source code, which the "make" program couldn't care less about. make is code-independent and reads from the "Makefile" script.

Another possibility is that you are using a 3rd party or home-grown program to compile 4GL. You'd be on your own there without giving us more specific information on what your standard Makefiles are like.

HTH
Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence
Krista A
Occasional Advisor

Okay, thanks, guys.