New Discussion юеВ

Re: console frozen and /etc/fstab not OK

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

console frozen and /etc/fstab not OK

Dear UX-friends,
After some maintainance my K380/11.0 has some problems with booting. There is an error about mounting /stand. It mentions an invalid option defaultsi. So I probabaly made an error in /etc/fstab and placed an i- character in the /stand line.

I had the plan to boot in single user mode, and vi the file right. The problem is that after login in the console freezes after a few seconds.

Is there anybody who has a solution for this?
Thanks in Advance.....
(In this timezone it is almost midnight, so you can save me some sleeping time ;-))
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
4 REPLIES 4
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Firt make sure that your console and it's connections are okay. Then try booting from LVM maintenance mode:
ISL > hpux -lm

When you get the prompt, edit the fstab and make changes.
learn unix ..
Chris Lonergan
Advisor

Boot into maintenance mode off the installtion CD. Then mount / on the troubled server and edit the file to make the correction.

Chris
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Donald,

You can boot into single-user mode using HP-UX Operating Enviroment CD. Then mount your root filesystem to modify /etc/fstab. After all, reboot the server.

Hai
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the fast reply's. I have to admit that I myself caused the problem: when th Esc - sequence did not work I must have hit the F3 key. This caused [block mode], which froze my console.

The given answers are with no doubt correct.

For those interrested, I mounted /usr and /var, so I could use /usr/bin/vi to edit /etc/fstab.
Thanks again for the given help, I go to sleep.....
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!