o Current Production Database runs on Oracle 8.0.4 (Sun
Clustered Server Version 2.6).
o The approximate size of the Oracle 8.0.4 DB is 600 GB ( 300
data files ).
o The target DB for production after the upgrade is Oracle
9.2.0.5 (Clustered Server)

Test Environment:

o To start with, install Oracle 8.0.4 in the test machine (Sun
Clustered Server Version 2.8) with recommended patches.
o Transfer 600 + GB data from production database backup into
this test machine.
o Test Oracle 8.0.4 DB
o Upgrade Oracle 8.0.4 to 8.0.6 in the test machine and install
recommended patches for 8.0.6
o Test Oracle 8.0.6 DB
o Upgrade Oracle 8.0.6 to 9.2.0.5 in the test machine and
install all recommended patches for 9.2.0.5
o Test Oracle 9.2.0.5 DB

The task to be accomplished: Upgrade and migration will happen only in the test environment and the production environment will not be disturbed. Eventually, the test environment has to be treated as the production environment

For this task, the production data from the Oracle 8.0.4 DB has to be moved to the Oracle 9.2.0.5 DB

Analysis:
I'm exploring on the migration options such as Oracle RMAN feature, Cloning, SQL Loader, Snapshot and through other third party software like Shareplex.

Questions:

I would like to know the efficient method of migrating such huge data from Oracle 8.0.4 db on one machine to Oracle 9.2.0.5 db on a different machine. (Sun clustered environment). Down time is very critical.

I would also like to know if the backup target location can be on a network disk mount point.

Is there any tool available with Oracle for doing such huge data migration?
Down time is very critical should not exceed 16 hrs...

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: data migration

How does HP play in this picture??

If this is a SUN environment and Oracle, then I would suggest you post to http://Metalink.oracle.com

I realize that this site rules in it's quest for the truth, but how does SUN play into that?

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
B. Hulst
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

There are many ways to do this:

1. Use exp to export the database and imp to create but it usually doesn't work flawless if you have different oracle versions.

2. Make a database link and with one sql statement (basically) you insert into the destination database all the data you need.
No downtime, unless you drop indexes to speed up the insertion. :-)

you can even migrate from a single SUN server into a HP server with these two options.

Make sure you have enough diskspace for option 1 and enough network bandwidth for both.

Regards,
Bob

Ps. It is wise to get rid of oracle 8. Oracle 9.2.0.5 is the oldest supported version of oracle nowadays.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I would suggest you have a look ate metalink note 277650.1 - How to Use Export and Import when Transferring Data Across Platforms or Across 32-bit and 64-bit Servers
This goes into some details.
Regards
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Sush,

Upgrade path for Oracle 8.0 versions.
If your old release version is 8.0.5 or less (i.e 8.0.4 or 8.0.3), then direct upgrade to 9i is NOT supported. You must first upgrade this version to 8.0.6. After the upgrade to 8.0.6 you can directly upgrade your database to 9i.

Direct migration with a full database export and full database import is only supported if the source database is:
- Oracle7 : 7.3.4
- Oracle8 : 8.0.6
- Oracle8i: 8.1.5 or 8.1.6 or 8.1.7

From 8.0.6 you can follow the upgrade path to 9i.
But verify the following.
Verify whether Oracle 8.0.6 is 64 bit or not.
Remember Oracle 9i is 64 bit only.
Verify the OS version and compatibility for oracle 9i.
Make sure that you are able to install Oracle 9i 64 bit without any problems.

UPGRADING THE DATABASE
Once you have upgraded the database to 8.0.6 or 8.1.7 (Note: Release version of 8.1.5 or 8.1.6, then direct upgrade to Oracle 9.2 is NOT supported). Refer to Note 133920.1 for manual upgrading the database to 8.0.6 or higher.

Attached document shows steps toupgrade to 9.2 from 8.0.6 or 8i

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying