Re: db mountpoints need to be increased

SOLVED
Go to solution
denise_7
Frequent Advisor

db mountpoints need to be increased

Hello All.
I need to increase a db mountpoint.

I am not sure, but I presume you do not necessarily have to umount the fs?

Do I need to bring down the db first? Although I probably will because this ensures no one is accessing the fs.

We are running HP-UX 11.0 and 9000 server.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

It depends upon whether or not you have OnlineJFS (and this assumes that the filesystem in question is vxfs rather than hfs). If it is vxfs and you have OnlineJFS then this is very simple. You can do an lvextend followed by an fsadm -F vxfs -b command to increase the size of the LVOL and the filesystem while 'on line'. There is no need in this case to down the database; it's perfectly safe. Man lvextend and fsadm_vxfs for details. If you are a little uncomfortable with this, you can do all this from Sam->Disk & Filesystems->Logical Volumes. Actions->Increase Size will do all the steps for you.

If you don't have OnlineJFS then you must shutdown the database, unmount the filesystem, increase the LVOL and extend the filesystem. After shutting dowbn the database, SAM can also do all these steps.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

If you are using LVM and do not have OnlineJFS, then you will need to unmount the filesystem to extend it. Thus, the database will need to be "down". If you have OnlineJFS, then you do *not* need to unmount the filesystem *nor* take the database down.

Regards!

...JRF...
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

Not unless you have ONLINE JFS

If not

To increase the file system you will first have unmount the mount point, to do this you will need to have no number of processes accessing that filesystem

Shut down your database

Check no processes are accessing filesystem via mount point

fuser -cu

umount
lvextend -L /dev/vg0#/lvol#
extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg0#/rlvol#
mount

HTH

Steve
take your time and think things through