6068 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: error message: errno=19

James Ellis_1
Super Advisor

error message: errno=19

Hi ya all.
I have a small problem. I am not all that familiar with Oracle 8.1.7, but in the /opt/app/oracle/admin/udump I have this error message

errno=19

Does anyone know what this error message is for? Apparently we have got lots of this type of error and am not sure what to look for with this error.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" -Einstein
9 REPLIES 9
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

/usr/conf/h/errno.h

Error 19 = No Such Device

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Error 19 = No Such Device

Description : No such device. An attempt was made to apply an inappropriate system call to a device
(such as read a write-only device).

Hope this helps

Thanks
Carl Erhorn
Advisor

James,

This is a standard error number from the os, and means that you issued a command that returned 'no such device'.

This probably means that you have something wrong in your oracle configuration, and are trying to access an invalid device name somewhere. With the info you gave, it's almost impossible to tell where, though.

So, that's what the error code means. Now you have to put on your digging helmet, and find out where the message is coming from, so you can find where the mis-config is.

Regards,
--Carl
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi James,

I confirm, as said before :

Look in /usr/conf/h/errno.h :

#define ENODEV 19 /* No such device */

Magdi

James Ellis_1
Super Advisor

Thanks for all of your responses. I assigned points to all of the responses, but since the problem has not been resolved, I will keep looking into it. I got more info from the db folks. This error comes up when the db is shutdown and startup. Since this error message happened on only one system, investigation is going to continue. Maybe an oracle rep can offer some insights?
Thanks,
Jim
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" -Einstein
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi James
I've got the same error on 2 L-class servers running HP-UX11.0 and Oracle 8.1.7 64bit.

Haven't been able to figure this out yet, but I'll monitor your thread and let you know when I get it solved!
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

James and Andreas,

In fact our DBAs made quite some mess here on this error. Finally they checked up Metalink and found the problem with their archiver processes. Apologies for my lingo. I am not a DBA. Did you check metalink?

http://metalink.oracle.com/

I don't have an id there.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

may be you can attach the tracefile in charge. This might be usefull to track down the problem.

Most likely, some init.ora parameter refers to a path-location, that is either invalid or write-protected.

Volker
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi
First:
This might no be the case but I resolved an similar error in 8.0.6 databases that gave errno=19 upon each startup:

From Metalink:
It is possible to workaround the problem by the following means;

If the "/dev/async" device does not exists, then create it.

As the root user:

/sbin/mknod /dev/async c 101 0x0
/usr/bin/chown oracle:dba /dev/async
/usr/bin/chmod 000 /dev/async

The permissions on /dev/async of 000 ensure that it is not possible
to use the async driver unintentionally.

As the oracle user, modify the "init.ora" file so that the parameters:

disk_asynch_io = false
tape_asynch_io = false

Second:
My current error is errno=13 so I guess it's a different thing.

So long

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!