New Discussion юеВ

Re: 'exlusively' reserving ports ???

SOLVED
Go to solution
JimA
Occasional Advisor

hi,

massimo - it's definitely only the first occurence which fails !

TG - unfortunately have not got lsof on Tru64 (boo hiss !) - or we haven't got it here. but
i think you may be onto something with the tcp/ip port hangs, as it's listed as a tcp service in the /etc/services i.e listener99 1521/tcp - what are the usual reasons for tcp port hangs ? - perhaps i can keep an ey out for them.

j
WARNING: System Administration seriously damages your health !
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

HI,
if it not another application, i think that is a previuos instance of the listener left running.

the dbshut does not close it.

Can you please post a "lsnrctl status" output ?

Massimo
JimA
Occasional Advisor

hi,

paula - yes, i think a cron to find out what's going on at that time, is in order.

massimo - err, the output you requested is as follows;
Message 1053 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSTNS-12541: Message 12541 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
TNS-12560: Message 12560 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
TNS-00511: Message 511 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
DEC OSF/1 AXP Error: 2: No such file or directory
Message 1053 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSTNS-12541: Message 12541 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
TNS-12560: Message 12560 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
TNS-00511: Message 511 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
DEC OSF/1 AXP Error: 61: Connection refused

not exactly what you or i was expecting !!. what is going on ????

j
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
for the listener it looks like some environtment variables are missing...

did you cehck them ?
as the owner of the listener, are there
ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, proper entries in ORA_NLS and in PATH ?

Massimo
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You cron job is failing because you have not set an environm4ent. Cron/at jobs intentionally run under a very sparse environment. You will need to explicitly set and export variables like TNS_ADMIN before calling the Oracle executables in your script.

PS - It is NOT a good idea to use su - oracle either because Oracle's .profile will expect an interactive environemnt. You could surround all those stty's and tab's and tset's with "if [[ -t 0 ]] then ... fi but a much cleaner way would be to create a script that sets and exports these variables and then both your cron script AND Oracle's .profile include it with the "dot" operator. e.g . /usr/local/bin/oraenv.sh. This included scripts MUST NOT contain an exit or return,

Plan B. Shutdown only the Oracle instance but leave the listener running. I'm all but positive that you are not shutting down the listeners successfully.

And no, there is no way to reserve a port - other than to use it and allow other processes to fail to open a socket when it's already in use - exactly what you are seeing.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
JimA
Occasional Advisor

hi,

thanks everyone for your input, got to go try a couple of things now as a result of your suggestions. i will get back to you at some point to let you know the outcome ( or even enlist your help again ! ).

j